Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slow cooker pork shoulder question for the chefs
  • garage-dweller

Have a pork shoulder that’s been well rubbed in spices which I want to get in the slow cooker early tomorrow.

Want this to be cooked through ideally to the point where it can be pulled when I get home. But I will settle for cooked and not shoe leather. 😆

The million dollar question is should I or can I put the meat in the crock dry (no extra liquid) or do we chuck some liquid in.

Liquid choices appear to be lager or stock as I’m not going to be arsed going up the shop now.

Bazz

Use some stock and some sliced onions/garlic, not too much just about an inch in the bottom.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, a little stock.

I use a small amount of veg stock, to which I add some whole black peppercorns, Sichuan peppercorns, and some mustard seeds.

Hungry now.

I assume you have the skin off, ready to be made in to yummy home made pork scratchings?

binners

Never go in dry!

For stock….

Seriously, it’s lovely!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bins, old chap, that’s a stroke of genius! Will be trying that.

garage-dweller

I assume you have the skin off, ready to be made in to yummy home made pork scratchings?

Balls. Wish I’d thought of that earlier. No time now, 5am start tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Binners great idea (although I suspect it would get drunk before getting added) but Mrs g-d is not a fan of ginger in drinks or food 🙁

thecaptain
    Free Member

Things like dr pepper or coke work well too. I used irn bru once. I usually use plenty of liquid and take the lid off or reduce it in on the stove later on (metal inner for slow cooker is handy for this sort of thing). Not as good as a proper slow bbq (no bark) but good enough.

binners

Seriously, try it! It’s bloody gorgeous! But if you really object to ginger then the captain has it…. full fat coke

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to lift it off the bottom on some tin foil balls.

lunge

To contrast, I go dry, maybe with a glaze but no more than that. Keep the lid on for as long as you can and it’ll cook in its own juices. I don’t lift it up either, means you have a bit of edge on it, lovely.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Technique from me is;

Big Le Creuset casserole dish.
    Pork just sits on/in the stock. Nothing more.
    Bottom oven of the Aga.
    Turn it over after about 12 hours or so.

Yum.

binners

Another stock option….

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Bottom oven of the Aga.

which one? I’ve been using the simmering oven – top left on mine, but still getting used to the aga

garage-dweller

Thanks binners that was plan A.

Apparently ‘someone’ may have drunk the last of the cider stash :mrgreen:

Use coke for gammon (yum)

We slow cook a lot but I’ve never tried dry roasting in it but it kind of seemed the right thing with a dry rubbed joint to not drown it.

As for the aga suggestion that’d be lovely but not in a suburban semi with a small kitchen 😀

stevied
    Free Member

I use cranberry juice and some Thai spices on mine..Yum yum!

martinhutch

I prop mine on a few sliced carrots and potatoes and have the stock just touching the underside of the shoulder. Just falls apart after eight hours or so.

EDIT: Are you going to seal it in the frying pan before putting it in?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slow cooker pork shoulder question for the chefs’ is closed to new replies.