Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Slow cooker advice
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

My darling other half bought me a slow cooker for Xmas which is awesome. However I need so e guidance. All the recipes I have give a time but how does that work? My plan is to prep the night before so can I leave in the fridge to put I. The slow cooker In the morning before I go to work. Is that the done thing?

Cheers

Bear
    Free Member

Prep? You just cut or peel anything you need and launch in the pot!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above!

Timing? In a slow cooker? Hell, no!

My fave-
    Cubed shin of beef
    Tin of tomato
    Garlic, onion, carrot, parsnip, whatever else you like
    A little plain flour
    Beef stock cube
    Bottle of big rich beer (Fuller’s Golden Pride does really well)
    A few herbs aux choix

Leave it in there. For a long time.

20 minutes before serving, bring it out, plop your dumplings on top and put on the hob with the lid on for 20mins.

binners

Welcome to Slowcookertrackworld

There’s few things better than arriving home from work, and opening the door to smell something delicious! I’m just cooking a chilli-tastic chicken gumbo in ours for later 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s few things better than arriving home from work, and opening the door to smell something delicious!

Mrs Binners clad only in Chanel No5 and a smile?

😉

binners

Indeedy! 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Mrs Binners clad only in Chanel No5 and a smile?

Have you seen Mrs Binners?……. 😯

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Ahhhh my recipe book says I need to brown this off and fry that off and all that that’s why I was asking.

Getting up early tomorrow then!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you seen Mrs Binners?…….

Only from behind.

😈

Stoner
    Free Member

I was in the process of being dragged around the local ladies garment retailers while Mrs S restocked her power-dressing wardrobe when I fancied upon this thread.

One ram-raid on Argos later and Im now sitting back at home in front of a slow-cooking pulled pork dish. Im looking froward to tomorrow’s dinner already 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ram-raid, pulling pork?

Ooo, err, matron.

johndoh
    Free Member

Had pulled pork on Boxing Day – in the cooker at 8pm on 25th, 20 hours later….

TooTall
    Free Member

Come on, Stoner. You could have hand-crafted a slow cooker from the stuff you have on hand in your workshop. Have you gone soft over Christmas? Now get a hay box knocked up and start cooking bloke-style!

Stoner
    Free Member

I made a hay steamer box for my Sis-in-law last year…
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mPySZ8bKxYg/UJ_IzIWYeII/AAAAAAAAEN0/7qFKY4lWzP0/s640/IMAG0261.jpg[/img]

That’s not what you mean, is it?… 😳

marko75
    Free Member

I posted this on the slowcookertrackworld but didnt get a response.. tried pork today – initially fried and shoved in the slow cooker for 8 hours – meat is dry AGAIN! FFS

Any suggestions welcome

Did a lamb stew – but no browning and lamb on top and veggies underneath – cooked for 7 hours. Lamb falls apart but tastes quite dry. Where did I go wrong?

recipe used

cheers everyone

kimbers

I like a cheaper fattier cut off lamb in the show cooker the fat melts away but keeps the meat moist 🙂

I do put a fair bit of water /wine in with mine so the meat is submerged usually brown for a bit too and mix it in with all the veg stirring half way thru

binners

Definitely worth sealing the meat before-hand Marko. And do it on the lower heat setting if you’re cooking it for that long. Maybe try it cooking for a little less time

marko75
    Free Member

thanks binners – should the meat be on the bottom or above the water/juice line whilst cooking.

Maybe I am analysing this too much!

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe I am analysing this too much!

You are!

ps. found this on Amazon today – cheap 🙂

marko75
    Free Member

DezB –
    Thanks for the link for the book. Ordered it! – now looking forward to some decent and moist meat!

ChrisA66
    Free Member

If I’m doing a beef stew in the slow cooker I use a tin of beef consomme, as it’s basically beef stock. Also, to thicken at the end of cooking I thoroughly mix a spoonful of plain flour with a little milk (to the consistency of single cream)in a ramekin and whisk into the stew. Then turn the setting to high to cook out the flour. Add a sprig of rosemary from the garden and redcurrant jelly to a lamb stew. If your’e not a big drinker like me buy a bog standard bottle of port and use a glug instead of buying a bottle of wine (it will also last longer).

ChrisA66
    Free Member

…forgot. Thai red beef curry. Dead easy. Brown off diced beef (or not). Add some onion, finely diced ginger, smashed garlic cloves. Bung into pot. Stir in Red Thai paste. Add a tin of coconut milk and top up with chicken stock to cover ingredients. Just before its finished add some pak choi and a squeeze of lime juice (if you can be bothered). Eat whole pot of curry. Feel bad. Repeat next day until you get bored. See above post.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

it has been proved that browning the meat first will not seal in the juices but does give more flavour and colour

dmorts

Just bought one, with removable pan for sealing/searing on hob beforehand. My only worry is it’s a 6.5L one and there’s only the two of us! We often cook double and freeze half though so that was the thinking going for a larger one, plus the capacity is there when people come round for dinner. But it seems massive… have I gone to far?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Slow cooker advice’ is closed to new replies.