Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Slow Burners – albums that you suddenly realised are amazing.. just a bit late.
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Its a regular occurance with me, ill discover a sound that blows me away years after I should have been enjoying it (and seeing the band live!).

Prime example, at Uni my mates tried to convince me RATM was were its at – 10 years later I realised they were 100% right.

My current favourite ‘new’ album is Biffy Clyro – Only Revolutions.
    AMAZING ALBUM! Why didnt I realize that when I bought it over a year ago?!

Nominate your slow burner

globalti
    Free Member

Bridge Over Troubled Water by two American blokes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I just bought this album called ‘Thriller’ by this good looking black guy called Micky Jackson or sumthin… has potential..

chutney13
    Free Member

Global communications 76:14
    Rythm and Sound rythm and sound

so late on both these, but they are both stunning.

docstar
    Free Member

Ash – 1977

ChrisL

It took me a long time to think much of Faith No More’s King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime. It was their follow-up to Angel Dust and followed the sacking of their guitarist so was always going to have a hard time being accepted when it was released.

These days, well I wouldn’t say it’s amazing but once I learned to overlook 3 poor tracks (Cuckoo for Caca, Ugly in the Morning, The Last to Know, I think), I began to appreciate it quite a bit.

djglover
    Free Member

Just getting into the foo fighters stuff 10 years later

slimjim78
    Free Member

It took me a long time to think much of Faith No More’s King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime. It was their follow-up to Angel Dust and followed the sacking of their guitarist so was always going to have a hard time being accepted when it was released.

totally with you.
    I didnt realise just how good the album was till about 5 years later. same goes for Album of the Year.

benman
    Free Member

Just getting into the foo fighters stuff 10 years later

Too right, they peaked with The Colour and the Shape. Then just stuck with the same template ever since…

Radiohead’s OK Computer took me a while to get into. As a teenager who was listening to Oasis and Green Day at the time, it was a musically a lot deeper than I was used to…

BigJohn

I was going to say Bridge Over Troubled Water too.

Foo Fighters were better when that Burt Cocaine bloke was with them.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Billy Bragg/The Smiths – although not sure I should be admitting to that.

nickf
    Free Member

Earth Wind & Fire’s That’s The Way Of The World was something I had heard a bit of, didn’t much like, then listened to in it’s entirety when driving back from Skye one day.

Completely captivating, and I recommend it without reservation.

roper
    Free Member

Al tracks available on you tube.

jota180
    Free Member

Pet Sounds

I bought it about 20 years ago and hated it, following a thread on here about old vinyl I spotted it and stuck it on the turntable

brilliant!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Attack in Black – Marriage

al2000

Roper – good choice.

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow is even better.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Billy Bragg/The Smiths – although not sure I should be admitting to that.

yes and no respectively.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Turin Brakes-The optimist

teethgrinder

Pearl Jam…best of, but still-wow!
    PJ Harvey…Rid of Me

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

my ulitimate slow burner was Helmet ‘Meantime’ when it came out – took 2 years for the penny to drop. awesome.

(At The Drive In’s ‘Relationship of Command’ also )

jhw
    Free Member

Kid A – in fact Radiohead’s greatest album

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sheep on Drugs- Greatest Hits 😀

martymac

metallica black album.
    i just keep going back to it, again and again.
    recently my wife bought me it on vinyl for my birthday, bonus!

slimjim78
    Free Member

At The Drive In’s ‘Relationship of Command’ also

100%, heard One Armed Scissor for the first time about three years ago and immediately punched myself in the face for not having heard it years sooner.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Pet Sounds

another great shout Jota.
    totally unique sound, makes me feel like an alien in a bubblegum world.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thw Waterboys

slimjim78
    Free Member

..saw the hole of my moon

brooess
    Free Member

FNM Angel Dust I didn’t like so much at the time. Now I listen to it more than The Real Thing.
    Smiths I first heard in 1983 and didn’t like. Got Hatful Of Hollow in 1991 and loved but still didn’t properly get them until 2005. Even went to see Morrissey at the Albert Hall in 2001 without quite getting it 😳
    Amuses me people claim Morrissey is miserable and then the whole country’s blubbing at a cover of one of his songs on a TV ad…

GJP
    Free Member

+1 for Turin Brakes – The Optimist
    Natalie Merchant – Tiger Lily
    The Lemonheads – Its a Shame About Ray
    Kate Walsh – Tim’s House
    Robert Plant – The Fate of Nations
    Rush – 2112

These are ones that are currently being played.

hh45
    Free Member

The Jam. I’m 43 and only bought the albums two years ago. Loved the singles back in the day but limited childhood budget never stretched to the albums. So I’d never heard Saturdays kids until 2009!! Mad.

Garry_Lager

Neutral Milk Hotel’s In the airplane over the sea. Not a slow burner as such, just picked it up 10 years after everyone else.
    Profoundly good album (despite the profoundly bad band name!).

Relationship of command is such a class piece of work – holds up no problem at all. Often songs will come up off it when I’m riding and they still stand out.

Sawyer
    Free Member

It took me a while to really get Mos Def’s The Ecstatic.

paul4stones

Eels
    Low
    Sweet Billy Pilgrim (very left field)
    Arcade Fire

ChrisL

Neutral Milk Hotel nearly deafened me – and everyone else there – at King Tut’s when they were supporting Sparklehorse many years ago. One of them was playing a saw and it somehow sprung loose from their grip and hit a mic, producing an almighty crack. The only other thing I remember about them is that they had a brass section (a trumpet and maybe a trombone) and they were very loud too. Can’t really remember anything about their music, mind.

Oh and Eels – not so much a slow burner, but the cover for Beautiful Freak put me off buying it for longer than I should have.

buttercup
    Free Member

greenthink – blindfold
    A lot of the expirmental things on ANTICON(WHY? Object Beings) are righteous, actually.

Tom Waits’ Rain Dogs is also a powerhouse I never realised until 2 months ago.

xiphon
    Free Member

Propellerheads – Decksandrumsandrockandroll (1998)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTUIHK7gHRE[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd8WjeK8riE[/video]

CountZero

Most of the time I pick up on new stuff then drop it like a hot potato when it starts to get popular…
    A lie, actually, but while there’s stacks of stuff I’ve been listening to for years, and plenty on here think I’m just showing off when I post up lists of artists, I’m not someone who’s happy sticking with the same few bands, I’m always looking for new stuff, and sometimes that new is old, like Neutral Milk Hotel, The Incredible String Band, Spoon, and Per Ubu, who I first bought as a 12″ single thirty years ago, was lent a couple of albums three or four years ago, and I’m only now starting to appreciate as random tracks keep turning up on my iPod.
    Three or four over the last week, out of nearly nine thousand on the Pod, so I think it’s trying to tell me something.

busydog
    Free Member

Super Session, specifically Season of the Witch—-Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills
    Loved it at the time it came out (1968–so puts it in a galaxy far away) but don’t think I really appreciated it until I listened to it again a couple of years ago. In that particular time/era of my life, certain habits/vices probably got in the way of true appreciation.

staralfur
    Free Member

Took me a long time to fully appreciate The National, but now, can’t get enough.

Bon Iver as well, For Emma Forever Ago always appealed, but only lately did I really fall in love with it.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Radiohead – The Bends. Hated it when I first listened to it and forgot about it for a couple of years. When I listened to it again it stayed in my CD player for about 3 months continually after that. It is now one of those albums I always go back to when I can’t think of anything to listen too.

More recently, The Rifles latest album Freedom Run. On the first listen I thought it was over produced and bland compared to their previous two. Had a listen a few weeks later and I now think it’s rather good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Slow Burners – albums that you suddenly realised are amazing.. just a bit late.’ is closed to new replies.