• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Slovenia.. Lake Bled… anyone been?
  • Alex

Considering this as a family holiday. Seen some good looking hotels with massive indoor pools that’ll keep my teenagers happy. And obviously it’s right in the mountains with chairlift access to the top. So even if I can’t sneak a ride it, looks stunning scenery…

Anyone been/recommendations?

[ninja edit due to geographical confusion]

ElShalimo

Slovenia ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops!

RustyMac

Still time to edit

Alex

oops indeed. I’ve been looking at Croatia as well. Anyway as you were…

dknwhy

Yes, i’ve been for a weekend. I worked for a Slovenian rubber company.

Nice place. I went in winter though so can’t comment on the summer stuff.

If you want similar but a bit cheaper. Check out my mate’s place in Slovakia…

Chalet Slovakia

willyboy
    Free Member

We went pre kids and its a great place. Lots to see and do. Food is great too.

Swimming boating on the lake(s). Mountain climbing too. Lake Bohinj is also worth a visit. We walked up the mountain next to it to the ski station, got the chairlift down and then the ferry on the lake. It was quite easy to hire bikes there too.

We also went down the old mercury mine at Idrija, which was very impressive.

The caves in the Karst region are very impressive too.

The Bee museum is also worth a trip.

We stayed in three places; Lake Bled, Hudicevec tourist farm and Llubljana.

Canyoning in a thunderstorm (Lake Bled/ Bohinj area) was also quite a rush, but may not be advised.

Alex

Thanks willyboy… had a thumbs up from the family on the white water rafting but no takers for the canyoning so far 🙂

welshfarmer

Fantastic country. Stayed a night near Bled and went rock climbing and walked up Triglav (well some of it as it decided to piss down!). Was mainly in the country for the caving which is world class. If you go then you absolutely MUST visit Postojna show cave complex. There are no more impressive show caves in the world.

turboferret

I’ve been to Lake Bled a few times with work, and it’s a lovely spot. I’ve heard that it gets pretty crowded in the summer – I’ve only been there in the autumn/winter. Lake is lovely, swum in it every time, although a bit chilly in November! Lots of nice countryside around too, as per willy above, lake Bohinj is also very nice.

I’d also recommend Postojna Caves which are a bit of a drive south-west of Ljubljana.

Cheers, Rich

Alex

Thanks both.. sounding promising…

Alex

Right after further investigation and some internet jiggery-pokery we’ve found a great deal to stay here: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274870-d594306-Reviews-or20-Ramada_Resort_Kranjska_Gora-Kranjska_Gora_Upper_Carniola_Region.html#REVIEWS and it’s flight from Brum so no schlepping to gatwick at 3am in the morning.

Get home on my birthday which is always a good excuse to carry on drinking 🙂

alpineharry
    Free Member

Vintgar Gorge is worth a visit too! It’s a boardwalk along the cliff just above the river, not far from bled and it’s really nice. Lake bled and the surrounding area is great too, we stayed in Ljubljana so quite central, if you can hire a car you’re about an hour from anywhere in the country. If you can, visit Piran in the south, that’s a really nice little town to visit.

/3/]Vintgar Gorge

Piran

Merlinman

Alex we went to Kranska a couple of years ago – loved it and the folks! English is taught in all the schools as a second language!

Super walks and biking opportunities via the lifts 🙂

Laško is the local brew – and good!

turboferret

My colleagues would frequently be skiing at Kranjska Gora and really liked the place, so I assume it’s nice. Enjoy 🙂

Cheers, Rich

leftyboy
    Free Member

Had one of our best non-biking holidays in Lake Bled, really good location for a family holiday IMHO.

robw1
    Free Member

Go. Its a great place. Stayed at Bohinj years ago (the next lake / village). The area is really beautiful. Lots of outdoor activities to do. not sure how cheap anymore. Ljubljana is also worth a visit. The centre looks a lot like Prague…without the stag dos and strip clubs.

Alex

Thanks all, ended up switching to gatwick as all brum flights were going to Salzburg which is over 3hrs on the coach away! Saved us a few quid as well.

Lots to do in a week. I’ll be killed and eaten by the rest of the family if I suggest we go somewhere every day 😉 Still if I travel in my 5-10s, use my bike shorts as holiday shorts and sneak in a helmet….

anagallis_arvensis

Cycle toured round Slovenia years ago. Lovely place. Bled is very pretty.

Alex

if anyone has recommendations for local bike hire,let me know!

Merlinman

We hired bikes in Kranska, nice folks also a coffee shop 🙂

Alex

Sounds good Rob thanks. I’ll check it out before I go. I’ve just made a command decision to pay £30 extra for meet’n’greet parking after a traumatic 30 minute wait in the snow at Xmas 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Slovenia.. Lake Bled… anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.