Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • slipping seatpost
  • z1ppy

M8’s just given me his old Orange E8 to ‘clean up’, which has alway had issues with the (26.8) post slipping. There’s no space for a coke can shim to my eye and currently with the seatpost done up really tight, I can still turn it by hand.
    I’ll throw some carbon paste at it, but any other idea’s?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Double seatpost clamp.

whisky711
    Free Member

27.0 post?

notmyrealname
    Free Member
    z1ppy

you know I thought DD might be taking the michael, but if any know where I could find a 31.8/26.8 (might try a 27.2 version) that would be excellent.
    DD thanks for the idea.

Notmyrealname – if only they did a 26.8,though at that price if they had a 27.2 I’d buy it..

Can you get 27mm seatposts?.. it seems you can, bloody hell your all being really helpful, cheers!

superstu
    Free Member

I was about to post on a related matter. Brother has a slipping seatpost and his riding group said salsa clamps have always solved their issues when they’ve had slipping posts. A quick google suggests they’re difficult to find (unless I’m being dumb)? Any other recommended clamps? Hopes have always been a bit temperamental from experience.

tomd
    Free Member

Try some Hylomar Blue in there. Non setting gasketing compound of the gods.

twisty

I had the same problem with 27.2mm post slipping around a little in old 27.2mm titanium frame. I tried a coke can shim but that definitely didn’t fit.
    Used some morgan blue carbon assembly paste and that worked perfectly.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

A 27mm Seatpost would be a good start and some Copperslip grease on assembly in the tube. I once needed a 27mm post and got one off ebay, a decent Raceface one for next to nothing. I know they did make a few versions. What size Seatpost clamp is it too? I’m just having a few problems with my post area creaking and squeaking. I have narrowed it down the the super light and some what flimsy seat post clamp and the bolt doing a banana as it needs to be done up tight for my Titanium post.

br
    Free Member

Can you get 27mm seatposts?..

Google is your friend, ie I CBA to post the Bart picture pointing this out.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My dmr side kick has a

31.8/26.8 (might try a 27.2 version)

double searpost clamp.

You’re not having it but they do exist.

Edit… i’m too kind

z1ppy

cheers, I had found those but it’s a 28.6mm/31.8mm, obviously better than nothing but I’d like to try to find a 27.2/31.8 ..just gunna check the site out again, in case I missed one
    .. can get one from china if I wait a month, hmm

oink1
    Free Member

27.2 and get it lathed down??

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I have a 27.2/31.8 from these guys, but they’re showing no stock at the mo.
    You could get in touch and see if they’re going to restock soon?

I’ve always found them pretty helpful.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had this with a Thomson 30.9 seatpost.
    It was fine in my old Enduro, but when it was moved across to my Trance it wouldn’t stay put.
    Was using the same clamp (Hope Mk2) as the enduro, so put this down to the seat tube being slightly oversize.
    I managed to pick up a Salsa flip lock for £15 on e-bay and that has sorted the problem completely.
    I think CroMag did one that was well regarded also.

z1ppy

As it’s an old frame, I don’t really want to stress the seat post much more, by trying to get a tighter clamp TBH. Though I plan to test another seat clamp, just to confirm that not the source of the issue (I believe it has already been changed)

takisawa2

It doesn’t say Gravity Dropper on it does it ?

Had slippage on my Niner but Salsa clamp put paid to that.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Some frames have obscure seat collar sizes mine needs 30.6!

TheSlider
    Free Member

That takes me back…….had 3 mates with Oranges (2 had the original P7’s) and ALL had slipping seat posts. It’s an Orange thing ! Weird. Don’t think they ever really solved it.

Hope that helps

z1ppy

😆 apparently it’s been an issue since new, & various attempted have been made over the years. Carbon paste which fixed my own slipping post, has failed miserably

Seat post Collar size is off the orange website

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

It takes a 31,8mm clamp try getting a Salsa Lip Lock clamp they do a size 30.6mm which no other manufacturer seems to do and then have say 1mm machined from the inside which would be no problem as these clamps are so thick!

Bit of a ball ache but odd things like this often call for such actions I have found.. It might work the Lip Locks are about the best thing you can get for clamping power. The 32mm one they make might be too big and regular 31.8mm clamps would seem to be not to solve the issue as this seems like an out of tolerance issue on the frame design.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘slipping seatpost’ is closed to new replies.