Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Slipping seatpost
  • filks

Any advice gratefully received!

I have an on-one scandal, Ringle 27.2mm seat post and Hope 31.8mm seat clamp. Can’t seem to get the post to stay where its set. I can tighten it enough so it won’t rotate and seems solid but even on my commute it is slowly moving downwards!

Could it be the seat clamp doesn’t extend far enough down the seat tube or is it a problem with the frame? Or is there variation between manufacturers – if so, who makes a ‘big’ 27.2mm seat post

Thanks in advance

ohtrace
    Free Member

Thoroughly clean your seatpost and the inside of your seattube with some degreaser. Then apply a thin layer of non-teflon grease and see if that helps!
    Oli

khani
    Free Member

Ragley make a 27.3 for worn/oversize frames, crc had em in, or try some pace carbon shield anti seize stuff, it’s got little bits in to reduce the clamp force required
    I’d try a different clamp first though

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had the same problem on holiday a few weeks ago. Problem sorted when I cleaned post and inside tube.

filks

Cleaning it is then, if not, new clamp

Ta

alexpalacefan

Problem with On Ones I’m afraid, don’t know why.

Fixed my 456 with a bolt-up clamp, for my Scandal I use a Salsa Flip Lock which seems to do the trick.

APF

filks

Mine is a bolt up clamp already!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Bosh!

There is this..

You’re welcome! 😀

filks

Nice one bikewhisperer!

It’ll be the last thing to use but you have allayed my ‘bought a dodgy second hand frame and its useless’ fears!

devs
    Free Member

Chromag or Salsa clamp. Sorted.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

No worries!

I have the same problem with a steel frame.. Was a poorly made prototype and every seatpost I’ve tried either creaks or slips. That double clamp would be great for me if it was 28.6/27.2…

I’ve clamped the seatpost at the insert point with a 28.6 seatclamp and some front mech shims.. It buts up against the real seatpost clamp and stops it dropping. Seems to work for the moment, but also going to try a 400mm post for more inset and less torque on the clamp

EDIT: they do a nicer looking one too:
    here

schmiken

Clean it properly with degreaser and then use carbon fibre grip paste. Sorted.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

if it is a QR seatclamp then try lubing the QR mechanism with something like GT85 – will allow you to get better tension before you think it is tight.

My post on my Bridy folder was slipping – I degreased the tube and the post – roughed up the inside of the tube with wire wool/files, etc. It was lubing the seatpost clamp that finally sorted it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Slipping seatpost’ is closed to new replies.