Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Slipping grips…annoying, any ideas?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

I switched back to retro foam wcs grips from lock-ons at the start f the season and they are driving me nuts…..

It used to be, squirt some lynx and hey presto they stuck by some magical means but this doesn’t seem to be working….i’m using carbon bars if that makes a difference? any ideas?

thanks in advance

JB 🙂

jam-bo

Lock ons

BadlyWiredDog

Automotive lacquer is brilliant – clean bars and degrease, spray lacqueur into grips, slide on, leave for a few minutes and sorted. The only downside is that they an absolute pain to remove.

stuey
    Free Member

What BWD says- but be prepared to cut them off / scratch up bars trying not to ‘cut them off’ 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use WCS’s on alloy bars, they move but it’s more like creep, little enough you can just push them back a few times each ride.

Little spot of (gel, so it doesn’t spread) superglue under each end stops them moving completely. Then cut round the spot with a stanley knife to get them off, soak off the glue with acetone*.

*May or may not be a good idea for carbon.

breadcrumb

My kcnc grips use to slip constantly. I put a few wraps of insulation tape round the bars to increase the diameter. No slippage since.

Have you tried hair spray instead of lynx?

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Back in t’owden days we used tp use hairspray, not sure if it works on carbon because I’ve got lock ons, oh an I’m as bald as it gets so don’t use hairspray anymore.

bungle

WCS foam grips here too, carbon bars too. Hairspray to stick on, hairspray to remove. No hair but wife and kids have hairspray……

amplebrew

sicklilpuppy – Member
    Back in t’owden days we used tp use hairspray, not sure if it works on carbon because I’ve got lock ons, oh an I’m as bald as it gets so don’t use hairspray anymore.

+ 1

I’ve always used hairspray, works everytime.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

hairspray sounds like the solution to me, cheers guys…..any recommendations?? lol 😆

P20

I always used GT85 but they would still slip in heavy rain. Changed to lock ons

iamroughrider
    Free Member

the nastiest hairspray ( usually the cheapest ) you can find. Think 1980’s top of the pops haircuts. Just make sure you dont have any cuts on yours hands when you use it. Strings a bit to say the least.

However mine sometimes still move a bit. Going to try combining the tape method too. Tbh I really do think lock on’s a brilliant sometimes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Vulcanising rubber solution is excellent for this 😉 break cleaner breaks it down too

matty456
    Free Member

Yep hairspray. From old school Bmx days.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Glue. Or lock Ons

JAG

I’ve used WD40 on mine and they’ve lasted three years so far without slipping 8)

DickBarton

Extra hold hairspray…Silvekrin or whatever it is called always works for me…

stuey
    Free Member

“your worth it.”

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I really can’t believe you all don’t have lock on grips!

Halfords do cheap ( but effective) ones for about £8

unklehomered
    Free Member

😆

true though… you are.

but yeah superstar Excels are the loveliest thing my hands ever knew.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Slipping grips…annoying, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.