Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • slimfitting minimalistic mtb shorts
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

hi guys
    looking for slimfit, 4 way stretch style knee length shorts,

what can you recommend i’m doing a 220 miles (3 day) cycle challenge with work colleagues who are all mamils, i’m not a fan of the look, and so plan to wear slimfitting short over my bib shorts.

i have a pair of endura mtr which are superb but it seems no longer available in black, just ordered some Kalf terra shorts off evanscycles very nice (although dark green in colour)

any other recommendations ?

thanks in advance

iainc

I just got a new pair of black Endura MTR’s last week. Any LBS who stock Endura should be able to get them

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Fox Demo FR are fairly slim fitting if the gold badge isn’t too blingy for you.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a pair of Giro Ride Overshorts
    They are stretch, fit well, are comfy, lightweight and dry quickly and look like normal clothes.

medoramas
    Free Member

TLD Ace.

Very slim-fit and comfortable due to their stretching material.

I don’t think I would pay the full RRP for them though, but can be found on sale quite often – I think I paid about 25 quid for mine last year.

aP
    Free Member

PedalEd Gravel shorts
    rapha touring shorts
    Maloja shorts

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

thanks ianc it seems all the online retailers are out of stock, so i assumed end of line, i noticed alot of styles has Version II coming out.

i’ll try lbs

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rapha touring shorts are excellent, I’ve used them for commuting for years. But I don’t think they do them anymore.

monde
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

I gave up looking (mainly because size small never reached the knee) and bought some normal walking ones. Pockets aren’t absolutely ideal, but the fit/length/fabric are perfect.

Bez

There are reasons why virtually no-one wears baggy shorts for road riding, you know 😉

dovebiker

For the ultimate in baggy comfort, particularly in summer Gore Alp-X 2-in-1 – I’ve ridden 200 miles in a day offroad in them. For the life of me, don’t understand why anyone would want to wear two layers of clothing in summer when 1 would do…..

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i’m beginning to realize that Bez,

the new mtr ii, gore and the rapha sound the best bet, those troylee ace look unbelievably skinny, and the reviews say fragile, prefer no embarassments out with work :0)

johnnystorm

Rapha Randonee shorts.
    More realistic sizing than the touring shorts.

timb34
    Free Member

I guess you’ll be riding for around 5 or 6 hours a day for three days in a row..

I’d just wear lycra. Plain black, preferably in a slightly matt fabric to avoid any shinyness don’t really look that different to slim fitting baggy shorts, but will be a lot cooler and have a significantly lower chance of rubbing you raw.

Having said that, the Gore Alp-X shorts look really good!

daern
    Free Member

Having said that, the Gore Alp-X shorts look really good!

My standard go-to MTB kit would Gore bib shorts + Alp-X standard shorts, so the 2 in 1 shorts look absolutely ace! Properly considering them now… 🙂

The only advantage of the discrete kit is that I can shed the baggies and wear the bib shorts on the road bike, which keeps my bike clothing drawer under control.

DezB
    Free Member

These is my fave: Race Face Trigger
    got em about £30 cheaper in the sale, might be found elsewhere. Light, stretchy, hardwearing, non-roadie looking 😉

sockpuppet

Rapha touring are very good, if you must.

But really, just wear the bibs!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rapha touring are very good, if you must.

But really, just wear the bibs!

This is my take on it, I wear the rapha shorts commuting as I need somewhere secure to keep my phone and have keys, both work and home, in my zipped jersey pocket. I wouldn’t wear them on a normal road ride.

But I’ve had a look at the rapha site and they’re only available in 28 and 3o waist. The randonee and all day shorts don’t have the same phone sized pocket just below the waistband.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d just wear lycra. Plain black, preferably in a slightly matt fabric to avoid any shinyness don’t really look that different to slim fitting baggy shorts, but will be a lot cooler and have a significantly lower chance of rubbing you raw.

Like a pair of howies shorts. They’ve got a tiny key pocket too.

iainc

dovebiker – Member
    For the ultimate in baggy comfort, particularly in summer Gore Alp-X 2-in-1 – I’ve ridden 200 miles in a day offroad in them. For the life of me, don’t understand why anyone would want to wear two layers of clothing in summer when 1 would do…..

plus 1. I have a couple of pairs of these and they are my goto shorts for gravel ride type touring weekends etc.

Not a good look when worn with knee pads though……

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve used the older version of these on the commute for years. They are great shorts even though the price is now gone up a bit. The only thing that may bother you is the reflective circle thing, which was missing on the older version.

DHB Baggy shorts

Rapha do some pricer alternatives if you are feeling flush.

core

Gore stuff is good, subtle, light, well made, not too baggy.

jam-bo

I get what your saying, but the shorts you’ve linked to have two layers of fabric? an inner lycra liner and an outer shell? or am i missing something?

iainc

the 2 in 1’s do have 2 layers, but the inner one is a bib style mesh, with pad, and the outer more of a ‘modesty short’ sewn into it. The result is a very light set of bibs, with no thick waistbands, or doubled up layers. Great for long warm days, just don’t try and wear with kneepads of they look very odd 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

as expected, been given some great options to further investigate, thank you
    like the sound of the gore shorts, and the DHBs
    i’ll be riding a spec diverge so not really a true roadbike,
    more a drophandle offroader , so shorts will come in for further bridleway adventures

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘slimfitting minimalistic mtb shorts’ is closed to new replies.