• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by lump.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 'Slime' tubes OR tubeless sealant + tubes?
  • james
    Free Member

Yes yes, the standard answer here is go tubeless

However its for a bike my mum uses to walk her dog (don’t worry she doesn’t ‘push’ the dog). Can be thorny where she goes, so wants to reduce punctures

I was thinking:
    – Proper tubeless is £££ so a non-starter
    – I’m under the impression ghetto tubeless can be messy/burpy sometimes. Don’t really want to complicate things
    – Slime tubes come to mind, What are they like?
    – The bike has shraeder valved tubes, I have a valve removal tool, so if I got some tubeless sealant, could that work? How much would it need in? How often would it need topping up? Which sealant would be worth a try?

blaggers
    Free Member

About to try the last option myself, notubes sealant in 700c inner tubes, as I’ve had two thorn punctures in last two road rides. I’ve read that inner tubes are too thin for the sealant to be as effective, but for punctures where the thorn is still stuck in the tyre, I hope it will work.

skiboy
    Free Member

I got slime tubes on my work bike , 700c , I ride through lots of glass etc with 28 wide semi slicks, they are a bit heavy but seem to work , i was having continous punctures every week since I got a bandwagon 3 months ago ,

Now all I need is a tyre that’s dogsh1-t resistant for my weekend rides in brickhill

zilog6128

I started using slime tubes as a stop-gap until I could be bothered to sort out proper tubeless. Still haven’t got around to that yet, but covered 1900 miles since (on and off road) with no punctures! They are heavy though.

spooky_b329

If its for casual use, just go for slime tubes, or the slime bottles to fill existing tubes. Apparently you can use Stans, but Slime never seems to dry out unlike Stans.

banginon

slime tubes work in my hire bikes pretty well..

njee20
    Free Member

Either slime tubes, or add Slime through her valves – cheaper but more faff. Check out Spesh Armadillo tyres too.

MarkyG82

Filling slime into tubes can be a messy job. If budget allows its far easier to by slime tubes. You can always use the originals as spares.

ratherbeintobago

Hutchinson Serenity tyres (assuming you can find them)?

Andy

lump

schrader valve tubes, remove the core and full with stans. All the benefits without the faff

aracer
    Free Member

full with stans

Well that’s one way of ensuring no air escapes. Not sure about the ride qualities though.

lump

Sorry fill with recommended amount for the size of Tyre 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘'Slime' tubes OR tubeless sealant + tubes?’ is closed to new replies.