Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Slime tubes or not
  • bumbly1
    Free Member

I have just purchased a new bike fitted as standard with Nobby Nic performance line tyres which I think are the lowest spec with no mention of tubeless. The wheels are tubeless ready and I intend to fit tubeless tyres when these wear out but meantime, what are the pro’s and cons of slime filled tubes or should I try to fit these tyres with the appropriate valves and latex?

I have run tubeless for years now on Mavic rims on my other bike with no punctures I can remember, on my second run with the new bike….puncture!

Tom

hooli

I have always used them and they do help – it is not obvious how well they work until you change a tube and you see how many thorns/holes are in there. You can also drop some stans fluid into a normal tube if the valve is removable.

z1ppy

I used to use slime tubes and they great until that last puncture deflates them, and you suddenly got 6 punctures that need repairing on that tube.

Just put a bit extra tubeless fluid in the tyre, it’s probably come out of the tyre pores. Just keep re-inflating it, the sealant will fill the pores and the tyre becomes tubeless (IME).

flashpaul
    Free Member

Difficulty to patch when required as the slime gets in the way

vinnyeh

a) they do still puncture occasionally.
    b) weight, around 400g each.

bumbly1
    Free Member

I carry a spare tube for the inevitable anyway, sounds as if they are worth a try. It is primarily for thorn punctures not tears so I reckon by the time the tyres wear out the fluid will be past it’s best too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Slime tubes or not’ is closed to new replies.