Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Slime tubes – do they work
  • ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

Just tried out some slime tubes, first puncture = flat tire, bleagh!!!

Took out tube,only a pin prick, green slime leaking out , but not sealed!!

What is your expreience??

I expected better

dr_adams
    Free Member

i have used them, and still do. have had some good and bad experiences. They are bloody annoying when dropping pressures in the tyres coz eeven when i turn the tube to 10 or 2 it still leaks a fair bit out. for punctures i have had a few seal, normally i don’t realise i have had a problem till i find the tyre has lost a bit of pressure and then find the issue but my last two (which were glass) it didn’t seal and just coated the inside in the slime which make finding the cause of th puncture annoying. I will continue to run them, if i didn’t i’d have to change the tube so even if its only half the times they save me its still worth it for me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

normally don’t seal without spinning the wheel follewed by quick pumoing to force the slime to the hole.

well worth it cos you don’t need to faff around with taking the wheelout etc

ps44
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for about 5 years after a particularly bad day when I used all my spares. Generally positive experience with the odd green slimy gooey mess thrown in. Changing tyres in spring/autumn always interesting to see how many thorns etc are stuck in the tyre. Works for me.

Inzane
    Free Member

I have seen a tyre with literally over 100 thorns in it, and the slime tube inside was still holding pressure. This was in Perth Australia… some places there you have to run something like this or you will stop every 2 minutes to fix a puncture due to all the thorns!!

hh45
    Free Member

i recall they worked Ok but going tubeless is the best answer IMO/E

ononeorange

Just put one in the rear wheel of my singlespeed after 11 flipping punctures in 4 rides (yes, it’s hedge trimming time around here). So sick of punctures was prepared to experiment and out up with the extra weight. Used it once on an xc race and delighted to have no punctures – a first for some time! Time will tell though.

Good luck!

jonb
    Free Member

Disappointed, punctured and wouldn’t seal despite pumping and spinning the wheel. Only ever used on my commuter and I’ve decided armoured tyres were a better solution.

z1ppy

love them, all my riding partners use them, they aren’t perfect, but they work without the need to get a specific rim or special tyres (or faff of ghetto-ism).
    Will be sticking with mine.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

In my experience the pre slimed innertubes are no good its better to fit a good quality new inner tube and use a bottle of slime. Obviously this is useless advice if your running Presta rims.

votchy
    Free Member

dradams, turn the tube to 5 or 7, any slime sat in the valve will then drip out and hence no leakage when dropping pressures

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dissapointed when I tried them. Never seemed to seal as well as claimed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve been using Dr Sludge tubes for years and they have been fantastic. Changing tyres reveals just how many time they’ve worked for you and I’m always surprised at the number of sealed holes that get revealed as you pull the tube out

enfht
    Free Member

imo they dont work as designed no

scruff
    Free Member

Heavy, not working, wobbly tyre crock of shite IMO. I used to get so many thorn punctures, I tried Slime, DH tubes, tyre liners , only very beefy tires helped really. Now switched to proper UST rims, UST or Bonty TLR tires and Stans sealant and only had 1 flat in a year which pumped straight back up (very subzero so stans didnt seal straight away )

Gary_M
    Free Member

I fitted them on my commuter during winter. I use ‘puncture proof’ Bontrager Hard Case lite tyres but still manage to get the occasional puncture. My commute goes over a moor so I really hate getting punctures when it’s cold and dark – and it’s really dark out there.

Anyway the slime tubes were basically a pile of crap. I fitted the slime tube to the rear only – first day out and I got a puncture, reinflated the tyre with a co2 cannister and it held out – these slime tubes are great I thought. Over the next 2 weekls I got more punctures than I had in the whole year, the majority of which didn’t seal. Maybe the tubes themselves are too thin or something. But if you ask me they’re crap and not worth fitting.

wwaswas

I bought a cross bike recently and took it out for a ride, with no tools or owt.

I got back and afetr about an hour the rear tyre was flat. It had a nail that had gone through both sides of the tube plus 3 thorns in it.

the previous owner had fitted slime tubes which I’m sure saved me from a long walk.

ReallyOldGit
    Free Member

Now for Day 2 of My slime Tubes – yep!!!! another puncture, only this time tire partially deflated, and a quick pump got me to my destination fine (Unlike yesterday, trusting in the new technology had not packed pump or patches!!! doh!!).

What I really need is new tire!!!!, as the rubber has gone off and soft on the worn original, and small bits of grit seem to work there way through!!!, so for now a reprive for Slime, but will be packing the pump from now on

fozzyuk

Had quite a good experience with them but also added a tyre liner at the same time. Since I did this I haven’t had a flat in a 11 months or so.

Doubt it all does the weight distribution much good but fixing a puncture on a 1hr local loop aint my idea of fun.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Slime tubes – do they work’ is closed to new replies.