Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Slim touring baggies
  • tang
    Free Member

They look cracking JamesO

jameso

They’re the ones. Just got myself a new pair but the sample short are still going strong. Top job by the clothing PM. I just rode them to see if I could wear the seat out of them as quick as some others I had .. failed.

Alex, sorry for not updating when they arrived, didn’t see your last post til now.

MoreCashThanDash

Really liking the look of those shorts.

AlexSimon

No worries James – I’m off to try them on today.

ransos
    Free Member

What’s the advantage compared with wearing ordinary shorts over lycra?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Different cut in the crotch which stops the seams rubbing on your gooch etc

BadlyWiredDog

Not from a cycling brand, but Haglöfs Lizard shorts are brilliant – stretchy soft shell fabric, decently light and comfortable, close-ish fit, but not tight. Ideal over Lycra on a cross bike or on the mountain bike too. They could do with a reinforced seat for biking use, but they’re still decently durable as they are. Built-in belt, pockets etc.

Expensive unless you buy them off season in a sale, but very, very good.

The FWE shorts look interesting.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Could the FWE shorts finally be a non-ludicrously priced slim pair of shorts to replace my DHB Dynos?

Only one way to find out, although I wish they had the regular horizontal zipped pockets on the rear….*orders*

theboatman
    Free Member

Rapha touring short here, 4 years commuting duties and still look like they have another 4 in them. So pricey yes, but looking good value in my book, and nice to know that any repairs needed will be covered. They are true to size and cut to be a close fit. Bit dandy I guess, but I can live with that.

Ioneonic

James.. any advice on the fit of those Evans shorts? True to waist size?

AlexSimon

Ah well – the search continues for me.

Tried the small (xs wasn’t in stock).

Fit was a bit baggy for me – especially at the back under the bum.
    I do have very skinny legs though.
    Length was a tad short (pretty typical for size s)
    Fabric was a bit crunchy/rustley (although this might ease with wear).
    With no adjustment possible, I would have needed a belt which doesn’t quite seem right for road riding.
    Pockets were a little weirdly placed, but at least there were 2 zippered ones for phone/key.

It wasn’t a wasted trip though as I bought the fwe light blue jersey.

Here’s the fit on my skinny pins

dragon
    Free Member

I just wish DHB would bring back a non-flashlight version of the Navo / Dyno, that was a decently priced slim style baggy. Mine have done nearly 4 years of commuting no issues.

Those Evans ones are closest I’ve seen, might be worth a visit.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

After having a better look, and Alex’s review, I think I am going to hold off till some more reviews come in.

If Evans did free returns, no store near me, I’d take the punt.

I just wish DHB would bring back a non-flashlight version of the Navo / Dyno, that was a decently priced slim style baggy. Mine have done nearly 4 years of commuting no issues.

Amen, Brother. I have the Dynos and they have been the best shorts I’ve ever had. The only thing I dislike is the laser vents can sometimes make wearing them casually a bit awkward 😉

…but apart from that I was gutted when I saw they’d stop selling them, and just had those crappy hi-viz covered baggys instead.

onandon
    Free Member

Nothing to ad, just bookmarking so I can find the thread later and have a look. I need shorts but always go for Mavic. Some good suggestions here by the look of things.

jameso

Alex, the smalls on me look very different, you’re wanting a much slimmer fit. Any slimmer than the S is and I’d find them restrictive when pedalling. The FWE S size fit feels similar slim/closeness overall to a 32W Levi 501, the waist is the same and the leg is only fractionally wider seam to seam. About right for me, pedalling in 501s is ok but 514s feel a bit snug although simply a slim fit off the bike. Fit is so tricky to get right.
    Fabric isn’t what I’d call crunchy, if anything it feels a bit thicker than most but it’s not the cotton feel of some that I’ve found can wear fast. Low-middling on the cotton-to-shiny scale when new?

For comparison I found the Rapha 32s too close fiting in places for a good on-bike fit, and a bit shorter from memory but the 34s were too loose at the waist. The Giro and Hoy Vlpine shorts are both a fair bit shorter in the leg in a M/32 than the FWEs in S.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was also going to say Mavic :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic/shorts-cycle

mine are nice fitting (or were last summer…), light and airy, and ergonomicaly cut for the knee, not sure which ones they are ’til I get home.

AlexSimon

Yes, I can imagine that fit will be different for many.
    I’m only a 29″ waist, but I noticed that the length was getting shorter from L to M to S, so an XS would be even shorter.

Fabric isn’t what I’d call crunchy, if anything it feels a bit thicker than most but it’s not the cotton feel of some that I’ve found can wear fast. Low-middling on the cotton-to-shiny scale when new?

It’s definitely not bad compared to some, but I think I’m looking for something with a bit of stretch/floppiness to allow a slimmer fit.
    The fabric in my Race Face shorts is excellent, but I’d want to remove the white highlights and large pocket flaps.

I definitely don’t want cotton/denim feel.

mcj78
    Free Member

Just noticed this thread resurgence – tk maxx have (or at least had a few weeks ago…) a load of the Giro “new road” stuff in, I got a pair of shorts & a couple of casual styled riding tees which would fit the bill well for touring (I had to size up in the shorts, they are pretty slim), might be worth a look if there’s one nearby

j

brassneck

Ground Effect Double Happys – I have an ancient pair (10 years ish) still going strong.

They were cut a little short for my taste, don’t know if thats still the case, but they are still in regular use.

teacake
    Free Member

Dakine 8 track.

I’ve had two pairs which have got me through 30 mins each way to work for 7 years(!) Had the arse repaired on one pair, zips on both replaced. Main material still going strong. Use for MTB too. Baggy enough to be very comfy, light enough in summer, dont flap about in the wind.

Pockets only on the front but are shaped so stuff sits down the outside of your legs.

Just brilliant.

AlexSimon

I think I might have to try and find some Raphas to see in the flesh and try on. Maybe other people’s ‘too slim’ is perfect for me.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

@BWD

You’re a big fan of Haglofs, I am guessing? 😉

BadlyWiredDog

@BWD

You’re a big fan of Haglofs, I am guessing?

I really like the Lizard Shorts, but they are stupidly expensive, so I generally buy them reduced in sales off season. Been through around four pairs now and find it hard to see past them. The only two downsides are that wth heavy use the seat fades and eventually wears through, but it takes a lot, and the welded seams by the pockets come unstuck after a lot of use. You can re-glue them with an iron and sometimes some suitable heat-activated adhesive stuff. I couldn’t justify buying them at full price though. 😐

Edit: oh, you mean the shoes as well. So yeah, I guess so, but they’re the only two bits of Haglöfs I regularly use along with an old Windstopper-fronted gilet.

I just bought some of the FWE shorts mentioned above in a medium. Good fit on the waist and hips for a standard issue 32″ waist and seem nicely made , but they’re around an inch or two too short for my tastes, sit just above the knee. All personal preference I know, but I prefer my shorts to just about cover my knee-caps.

AlexSimon

I just bought some of the FWE shorts mentioned above in a medium. Good fit on the waist and hips for a standard issue 32″ waist and seem nicely made , but they’re around an inch or two too short for my tastes, sit just above the knee. All personal preference I know, but I prefer my shorts to just about cover my knee-caps.

Yep, they do seem well made and I like the stealth reflective bits. Things in the pockets wouldn’t annoy and they have a nice high back. I tried them again today and liked them more but for the length. Especially as they aren’t ridiculously expensive.

But… After looking around at all the normal outdoor shops today I just prefer the really lightweight fabrics of the Rab, North Face, Hagloffs, etc brands at the moment and they have zippered pockets and are nicely long and slim.
    I’ve never tried them on a bike though.

jimmy

Just tried the FWE’s on. Don’t suit my build – S was OK for my 32″ waist but not my big butt, and the legs were boxy rather than slim. They did feel a bit like school shorts, too, albeit well made and seem robust especially for the money.

I think I’ll stick to medium Endura and get some singletrack lites.

onandon
    Free Member

Inspired by this thread I’ve also been looking for some slim shorts.
    I just had a few pairs of Troy lee connect shots delivered. Initial thoughts are they are pretty much perfect.
    Lightweight, slim fitting and some nice details, like zippy pockets front and back.
    They were half price, so only £24 a pair.
    Army green is an awesome colour and the concrete is pretty nice too.

I’ll have to see how they perform an the bike but in the ‘ strut around the house’ test, they did well.

jimmy

Where did you get them from? They look nice!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Decathlon do some walking shorts for 20 quid that are perfect for biking slim cut but very stretchy, have zip pockets and a decent belt. Short legs though so your lycra inners may show a bit!

nedrapier

I’ve got a pair of these on order: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/one-industries-tech-casual-shorts-2016/rp-prod139255

Look like they might be OK. I’ll let you know how I get on.

AlexSimon

The fabric looks good on those Ned – pockets might be a bit useless unless the zippered one is big enough for a phone and it doesn’t get in the way.

on and on – they don’t look bad. I can only find 28″ black (which might be ok) at £24 though – where did you get them?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Another +1 for Haglofs Lizard Shorts, got a couple of pairs and i can’t see past them. I’ve got the Lizard Jacket also, I use both of them for climbing and biking.

steezysix
    Free Member

I think these are the same as the ones Joolsburger means: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-forclaz-500-dark-grey-id_8360675.html# – I’ve got two pairs and they’re great, very lightweight, stretchy and seem pretty hardwearing. I’m 6’1″ and 32″ waist and the medium fits spot on, although if they were an inch longer in the leg they’d be perfect.

AlexSimon

Of the ones I tried on in town (couldn’t find the Haglofs Lizards), my favourites were the North Face Speedlights and the Rab Vertex
    As you can see, they are nice and long and slim. Very light stretchy fabric too.

The bike-specific ones seem higher on the back, but otherwise I can’t really see why I can’t use them on the bike.

onandon
    Free Member

I ordered mine online from Rutland. I think CRC had them also but were a couple of quid more.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using rapha touring shorts for commuting for years. They’re hard wearing, very comfortable, shrug off light showers and the rear pocket is great for a phone.

And they’re a slim fit.

onandon
    Free Member

They look great but unfortunate out of stock 🙁 . I wanted a pair

Gary_M
    Free Member

28/32 in stock, fat person sizes are out of stock. Are you sure you want slim fit 🙂

If you can access the rapha survey you can get a 20% code but you’d better go on a diet 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I wanted a 34 for some extra comfort room. I’m 40 next week FFS 🙂

In all seriousness, I may order 32 as I’m boarder line ( fat ) do these size up small, ok or large ?

belugabob
    Free Member

I wanted a 34 for some extra comfort room. I’m 40 next week FFS

In all seriousness, I may order 32 as I’m boarder line ( fat ) do these size up small, ok or large ?

If you’re turning 40, I’d go for a 36 – trust me on this 😉

jimmy

I’ve taken one for the team and been through:

FWE Ridgeway
    Endura Urban
    One Industries Casual
    DHB Flashlight

By far the best fitting and most comfortable feeling are the DHB flashlight. Lightweight and well-fitted with a bit of clingy-stretch, they’re also conveniently the cheapest.

*when I say been through, bought and returned.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Slim touring baggies’ is closed to new replies.