• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Slightly worn headtube
  • tcomc1000
    Free Member

I have made the mistake of neglecting my bike maintenance over the summer
    On realising there was some play in the headset I had a look and realised the bearings were shot. On replacing the upper and lower bearings ( internal, sealed (Giant overdrive)) there is some ever so slight wear in the frame that no amount of tightening can resolve. Other than a sliver of Coke can in there to ‘pad up’ the frame so that there bearing no longer has any fore/aft movement has anyone got any clever fixes for this snag other than a new frame ? ( with a baby on the way no way my mrs would let me buy)
    M

legend
    Free Member

Loctite bearing retainer (can’t remember the number but I’m sure someone else will be along shortly). Total ball-ache when you want to take them out again in future, but a solid way of filling the gap

tcomc1000
    Free Member

Is that the red loctite bottle? so maybe not the Coke can method. May have to depart to the shops later

duncancallum

Pin punch the bearing cup around its surface and then loctite.

Piening the cap will make it a tighter fit.
    http://www.grainews.ca/2014/12/10/how-to-deal-with-a-loose-bearing-race/

This shows what I mean. Had to do it on abs rings on cars n trucks

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

If you know anyone with an air scribe you could give the contact surfaces of both the head tube and cup a roughening up, followed by a liberal dose of something like loctite 2701.

I sometimes do it on older aluminium bearing housings and they last for years before the bearings start to slip again.

Murray

Out of interest, what’s the solution for a carbon headtube? New bike?

twisty

Out of interest, what’s the solution for a carbon headtube? New bike?

Apply a little epoxy repair filler and then sand it back to a round finish.

andyl
    Free Member

aye – epoxy and maybe a thin piece of glass scrim cloth if it’s really bad.

for the aluminium frame I would still consider something like JB weld epoxy and sand that back too. Should be easier to take out and remove the bearings in future for cleaning and re-lubing/replacing which I am sure you will do more often now 😀

mickmcd
    Free Member

We make a lathe turned round plug and inject it with moglice an epoxy filler compound designed for this exact job ,we do it on bottom bracket too,

That’s the pro way to do it on a botched new carbon frame

SirHC

Is there play between the bearing and headcup, or is it betweenn the headcup and the frame?

Del

loctite 638

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Slightly worn headtube’ is closed to new replies.