Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Slightly smaller frame for single speeding?
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

I’m thinking about building a single speed with all my spare parts – i just need to get a cheapo frame.

i’m thinking of going for a smaller frame as it’ll be used for razzing in the woods and crappy weather round thetford + broxbourne woods and not really all day epics. I guess sizing wise it would be like dropping to an 18inch on one inbred from a usual sized 20 inch.

Does anyone size down for single speeding for fun factor/any other reason? grinding out the saddle etc?

wwaswas

For ‘just riding around’ I’ve always used the same size frame for SS or gears (sometimes even the same frame).

If you’re going to get a bit jumpy I can see the attraction of smaller but for singletrack and stuff stick with your normal size woudl be my advice.

Sam

If anything I would go a little longer on an SS specific frame – climbing out of the saddle is tricky on too short a bike.

plumber
    Free Member

I use the same frame (basically) in the same size for both SS and geared – feels very different but I wouldn’t change the size of either

I nearly understood that

JoB
    Free Member

echoing both above, all my SS bikes have been the same size as my geared bikes, a SS bike is just a normal bike with only one gear after all, although i do know some that have gone for a longer bike for more roomy out-of-saddle action

nickc

I’m not following the logic of a smaller frame, but mleh. My SS is the same bike as my geared bike

Yak

Out of the saddle – possibly ok if you’ve enough room to move around, but at some point you are going to be grinding out a climb sat down. Surely the right size is essential for this?

dizcostix
    Free Member

well, my idea was that if I could find a frame with a similar length top tube but the seat tube was smaller – i could get a slightly longer stem to keep the reach the same whilst improving standover and maneuverability of the bike.

i see the point for same as my usual size, but I like my stretched out 19″ xc (100mm) bike for xc and my relatively short ‘large’ nomad mk1 for ‘the rest’ + casual xc.

Hence me thinking about a slightly smaller frame than my xc only duty bike for single speeding – make sense?

although, as a minimal experienced SSer I’m not sure and making guesses.

EDIT: I won’t really be sat down grinding round thetford/broxbourne!!!

jamiep
    Free Member

A longer stem? Burn him!

I’ve a small-framed SS cos it feels like I am razing round on a big bmx, which is good

Yak

Razing around on a bike that feels like a big bmx is great. But my back is too old for that now, so I’ve swapped my little ss for a correct size ss.

scaredypants

my ss is my longest frame – seemed like a good idea when I got it and still does IMO

julianwilson
    Free Member

My ss is the same size as I would buy a normal hartail for.

Although for some reason mine (sanderson soloist) is half an inch shorter in the top tube than the equivalent size geared/xc sanderson frames. It is fine, in fact one of my favourite ever bikes I’ve had, (perhaps that is the fork and the bars more than the frame but hey ho…) but if I could change one thing it would be maybe 3/4″ longer and same everywhere else.

honourablegeorge

Grab yourself a dialled love/hate – 50% off in their sale

julianwilson
    Free Member

^^ Ooooh, that is a good price for a really lovely frame.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Size up here, 18″ Inbred, as easier to haul on bar etc but it is an xc bike but still for some reason one of my more playful bikes and great for a raz

specializedneeds

OP: check the ‘reach’ measurements (top tube length is a red herring). There is only 7mm IIRC between 16″ and 18″ Inbred, so I went for the extra stand over, no regrets. There may be a similarly small diff between the sizes you are debating. The 16″ puts the TT down by my knees which I love for having fun, pretending I’m a riding god. Even if it’s all in my head, that can be enough to make the difference. Also, more seatpost helps take the sting out, I can look down and see my SDG ibeam flex but no problems in three years.

Single speed is great round Broxbourne. Had an amazing ride following another single speeder who knew the trails, hardtail makes it more fun too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sanderson SS frames are shorter in the SS versions IIRC.

TBH I’d get a normal size. I’ve just swapped from a medium swift to a large el-mariachi (same length as a large swift), and added 10mm to the stem (well it says 120 on it, i’ve not measured it).

Certainly feels better being on the ‘right’ size bike, if anything I’m more confident on it despite being gate proportions!

Bessides you’re clearly behind the times, Dirt’s spent the last 2 years berating bikes with short wheelbases, only a matter of time before MBR catches up!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Slightly smaller frame for single speeding?’ is closed to new replies.