Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Slightly OT: Road cycling holiday, Europe
  • IainGillam
    Free Member

Looking to go on a road cycling holiday late summer (September ish.) I’ve been looking at the usual suspects (Alpe d’huez etc) but was wondering if the STW collective could offer up any suggestions. Don’t have masses of cash to throw around but would only be going for a week, fully guided with all the bells and whistles not really an option, sort of half board bike friendly accommodation recommendations is kind of what I’m after. Also not restricted to a particular location anywhere in Europe is good (unless someone knows of really cheap flights further afield) provided getting there isn’t too expensive, ,would most likely be flying as oppose to driving. Any one have any ideas?

Iain

kilo

http://bike.belvederericcione.com/

very good facilities and food, laundry of your kit overnight, top quality hire bikes ( Mrs Kilo had a De Rosa King which was nice)

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

http://www.joy-riders.com/road.asp
    I’ve been with them on a MTB holiday but their road stuff looks great too. Garmin guided and the après bike stuff on offer is very good.

Cheers

Paul.

aP
    Free Member

Pyractif always did excellent cycling based just north of Luchon with plenty of good road riding in the near vicinity.

uplink
    Free Member

If you’re on a budget, I reckon the Pyrenees are a better value than the Alps

I’d second Pryactif

ampthill

Pyrenees is great although flying to Geneva is well cheap.

All you need is…..

Road map
    Bike, taken on plane
    Cheap Hotel found on the internet

Even cheaper if you take a rucsac and cycle from the airport

Are you prepared to carrry a few cloths. A mate of mine cycled from Grenoble to Nice over most of the major passes. He took a tent and regretted it. A small bag of cloths and a credit card is all you need. He seemed to think budget accomadation was easy to find

mogrim

If you’ve got a Spanish speaking friend a reasonably cheap holiday would be to do a tour of north Spain, head from casa rural (small, family run rural hotels) to casa rural.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Slightly OT: Road cycling holiday, Europe’ is closed to new replies.