Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Slightly odd question for the mechanics among you
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello.
    I am trying to find a sump, but not for any spcif engine. Google unfortunately doesn’t give the dimensions of them.
    I need one who’s maximum dimensions are 24″x12″ and as deep as possible. It muct be flat on the top.
    This is considerably larger than the one on my Transit so I guess it will have to be from something with a fairly large engine, any ideas?
    Thanks

wwaswas

Do you need an actual sump or just a square pan to catch oil (possibly with a drain plug at the bottom)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep firing the question back, what do you actually need it for?

Cougar

By “maximum dimensions” do you mean minimum?

andrewh
    Free Member

No, definitely maximum.
    I’m trying to make a slightly unusual sink, this is the biggest one which will fit in the wee space between the washing machine and the wall. Needs to be a flat top so that the top is flush with the worktop when in situ.
    Not too fussed where the drain plug is, I guess I’ll have to leave that plug in and make a new, bigger, outlet for the waste, although the drain plug may be at the bottom so might just have to be enlarged.
    If it’s something off a vehicle with a bit of ‘pedigree’ for want of a better word that would be nice (the V8 Mustang sump looks nice for example but I can’t find dimensions anywhere!)
    ***Thinking out loud*** How much would the sump from a RR Merlin cost…?
    It’s for the bike shed/utility room rather than the kitchen by the way, I suspect that I may not be allowed to do this in the house despite Mrs H’s love of recycling things

mikewsmith
    Free Member

best scrap yard nearby?

andrewh
    Free Member

Yes, there is a local scrappy but not much in the way of big stuff, could be a good few trips before I find a Range Rover or Jag with a decent engine. Not sure if they would be big enough?
    Maybe one from a truck, are any likely likely to be of those dimensions? I’ve only seen my car and van ones and they have been almost square. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a tractor breakers yard

andrewh
    Free Member

Almost perfect size Stoner, thanks. A wee bit boring perhaps? Seen a couple of copper troughs/fish kettles which look nice but a bit too small.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Slightly odd question for the mechanics among you’ is closed to new replies.