Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Slightly morbid part 2.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Does anybody remember that TV series with Billy Connolly where he did a travelogue around various countries? I remember the one in New Zealand. He was somewhere on the south island in a small town whose name escapes me, at a grave plot containing two graves.

The story he told was about a stranger who turned up one day (back in the early part of last century I think), who was on the point of death. Nobody knew who he was or where he had come from, but one of the residents took him in and tried to care for him. After a short while, he died.

The two graves contain the bodies of the stranger and the carer who, because there was no name available, ensured that the gravestone of the stranger read, instead of a name: "Here Lies Somebody's Darling".

This morning on the usual cycle commute, I started the climb up the gradient towards Chessington Zoo and noticed that a line of traffic was stationery from about halfway to the top of the ridge. There were a couple of blokes standing on the pavement at the head of the queue and naturally I thought "Ah. Accident."

As I got level with the car that was waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic, I sneaked between it and the rear of the two vans that were stationary and passed by on the right. As I passed the second of the two vans, there was a staionary sports car in front of which was one of the occupants of the van crouched in the road.

In one hand he held a mobile phone through which he was giving directions to the scene. In the other he held the head of a supine figure whose spectacles were lying on the road in front of him in a seeping pool of head blood.

As I passed, I thought of the person who was going to get that phone call later on this morning, then it popped into my head:

"Here lies somebody's darling."

Hey. Let's be careful out there. 😐

allthepies
    Free Member

Jeeez, do you do BarMitzvahs ?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I know it's horrible, and yes, somebody is probably going to get a phone call that will haunt them forever, but all the time I was reading woppit's post, I couldnt get the 'our tune' theme out of my head.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

Oh that's tragic. Do you think if that was you're loved one you'd want to be called or just hear about it all afterwards? There is something about that situation that might haunt you forever.

Not sure if this is an urban myth but when mobiles were first being touted as dangerous to use while driving I was told of the story of the guy talking to his wife whilst driving. The wife heard the crash and then a little later the voices in the background saying 'come on mate, stay with me…'

firestarter
    Free Member

I was at a crash a few months back cutting two dead kids and a very injured one, and their soon to be dead dad out of their car. and one of the kids and the dads phone kept ringing, it was their mum . That wasn't a nice place to be 🙁 bloody joyrider caused it and was never caught either . Fookers

DenDennis
    Free Member

you must be a tough cookie firestarter.

puts the "trials and tribulations" of being a middle-aged-balding-IT-manager in perspective

IanMunro
    Free Member

🙁

firestarter
    Free Member

I've had better days at work den 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Was coming back from a club in Ibiza in '97, we came to a traffic jam and it was obvious that up ahead a scooter had collided with a taxi. As we eventually got past it was clear that in addition to an extremelly mangled scooter there were 3 blankets covering the 2 deceased. 1 full sized blanket, another full sized blanket and a small blanket. The small blanket was covering one of the scooter riders heads which had been decapitated. Needless to say we came down to earth a little that day…

molgrips
    Free Member

That's bad 🙁

I hate talking to people when they are driving even on hands free, because I worry that I'll just hear a crash and then nothing.

But then, I think of that kind of stuff often 🙁

Hugs all round.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Slightly morbid part 2.’ is closed to new replies.