Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Slightly disillusioned ……..
  • UK-FLATLANDER

Why so much in fighting? Don’t all of us on this forum love MTBing? I’ve previously been involved in climbing and most folk just seem to accept and respect each other, regardless of ability or preferred niche. I have been MTBing for nearly 20 years – I love riding local loops in East Anglia, trail centres in Wales or Scotland, natural trails in the Lakes or the Alps. I also like building and fettling my bikes or those of my friends. So why is it that it seems that every day on this forum certain folk seem to to have to snipe at anyone that who’s older and rides a “nice” bike but isn’t good enough skill wise in their eyes? I can’t turn time back, I choose to spend my spare money on bikes rather than a new car, booze or cigs and it’s the thought of the long recovery times from injuries that make me more cautious when I ride. Personally I don’t care what my companions ride, or how they ride it – to me the most important thing is that they, like me are enjoying riding their bikes with good company. Surely we’d be in a much better position as MTBers if we all pulled together regardless of whether we like DH, XC, trail riding or just pottering about. If we pulled in the same direction we’d have more chance of fair representation when it came to things like funding or access argument.

End of rant.

kimbers

do you live here flatlander?

mrmo
    Free Member

but if all MTBers actually realise they are cyclists and that riding bikes for any reason is good it would be time for the second coming.

Easier to pick on the weirdos in baggies/lycra than try and gain better access rights etc.

craig1975
    Free Member

mostly because there is a lot of these types that frequent this forum

crikey
    Free Member

You don’t have to come here.

Conan257
    Free Member

Life without banter isn’t really worth living…

Surely, if we all think alike and act alike, then it’s all just a little repetitive and crap?

Rorschach
    Free Member

it’s all just a little repetitive and crap

Life eh?

Duggan

It’s just the internet, innit.

Most people who spend all day arguing over everything on here probably don’t actually pipe up all that much in real life.

godzilla
    Free Member

?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It’s mostly people trying to compensate for having a small penis.

UK-FLATLANDER

Kimbers – no, just would like it to be nicer than it is
    Craig1975 – perhaps you’ve hit the nail on the head
    Crikey – so a MTBer shouldn’t come to a MTBing forum????

watsontony
    Free Member

Easier to pick on the weirdos in baggies/lycra than try and gain better access rights etc.

if your on a mtb you either in baggies or lycra so who are the no wierd mtbers

Rorschach
    Free Member

if your on a mtb you either in baggies or lycra so who are the no wierd mtbers

The ones with poor grammar?

mjsmke

Well said UK-FLATLANDER. i also agree with everything you say. I ride mostly xc and trails with a bit of road. I have huge respect for roadies – their strength and stamina is amazing. Huge respect for freeride and DH – i will never have the balls to ride how they ride. Huge respect for trials and all other tyoes of riding that i cant think of off the top of my head – they have skills i will never have.

I ride a 2005 fsr xc with old and new xt kit, rebas, etc. I cant afford a newer bike right now because my money is needed else where. I ride with people who have bikes from £500 to £3000. They dont need to justify what they ride. Just like we dont judge each other by where we live or what we live in.

One thing i really want to add on here….. Some people like to run narrow tyres at more than 35psi, bars narrower than the Equator, bikes with less than 120mm of travel, etc. Its still an MTB.

On the possitive note. I love this forum for the help we give each other and to new people to the sport. And the threads that put a smile on my face.

cinnamon_girl

Just a load of mouthy blokes. Meet them in real-life and they’re pussycats. 😉

proberts
    Free Member

I agree, the only reason we log onto this site is we have a common interest…there does seem to be a lot of people who want to make others feel shit about themselves. I love a bit of banter and spend most of my working day doing it but things in type can get misread and taken literally. On the other hand the bike forum has me in hysterics sometimes, there’s some very funny people on here!

chiefgrooveguru

Flatlander, I’m with you. And I’d add that generally ‘banter’ seems to be a tiresome replacement for more developed forms of humour…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Done to death….but that’s because its awesome.

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.

You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.

Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.

Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.

No paint job makes everyone happy.

Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.

Steel is a great material for making bike frames – so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.

You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.

Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.

Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.

Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the USA can be super cool.

Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.

Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.

Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.

Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.

Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.

Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.

It sucks to be harassed by assholes in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind assholes on bikes.

Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.

Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.

Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.

Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.

Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.

Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.

If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.

Touch up paint always looks like shit. Often it looks worse than the scratch.

A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.

Bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target, Costco, or K-mart are generally not the best bang for your buck.

Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.

Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.

32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.

Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.

Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.

Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.

The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.

Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.

Stopping can be as much fun as riding.

Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever you’re riding on. You should thank them.

ton

flatlander……..this place has always been the same.
    just relax and and ignore it, you soon sus all the tosspots out.

godzilla
    Free Member

Joking aside UKF, im with you dude. love and peace bro.

yossarian
    Free Member

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Snipers are usually in a minority. Its best to simply ignore them, they must be unhappy people, or they wouldn’t want to bring anyone else down. If everyone starts snipeing, just turn off the laptop and they all disappear.

cinnamon_girl

FCOL that pic ^^^^^^^ 😯

Nightmares for me tonight!

tazzymtb

I’ve previously been involved in climbing and most folk just seem to accept and respect each other, regardless of ability or preferred niche.

Good lord I must have climbed with different folk them, then abuse between boulderers, sport climbers, indoor wall only posers, trad and ron hill wearing diff biffers is just as varied and entertaining but divisive as it is amongst ss attentionwhores, xc jeyboys, fat trail mincing storm troopers, downhill monkeys and baggy shorted, floppy haired backward capped free ride buffoons

stratman
    Free Member

Rorschach

You’ve just summarised the whole forum

Excellent!

tazzymtb

tazzymtb

Rorschach

correction….you’ve copied and pasted from the surly website 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Most people who spend all day arguing over everything on here probably don’t actually pipe up ride all that much in real life.

FTFY

Onzadog
    Free Member

Rorschach, you are Baz Luhrmann and I claim my five pounds.

yunki
    Free Member

Rorschach

Excellent!
    I rather think that it’s yossarian that has summarised the whole forum..

FOG

It’s just people, they all want to feel better than somebody!
    When I was in motorcycle clubs it was just the same, you hadn’t got the right bike, the right clothes etc. We don’t speak to Harley riders/sports bikes/touring bikes and so on.
    My wife who is an amateur artist says it is exactly the same in artistic circles [though with less swearing!]. There is always somebody who thinks they know best about any subject whatsoever.

DezB
    Free Member

I ride mostly xc and trails with a bit of road.

I think this sums up the forum.
    (I’ve decided to make it my new catchphrase)

grum
    Free Member

Why so much in fighting? Don’t all of us on this forum love MTBing? I’ve previously been involved in climbing and most folk just seem to accept and respect each other, regardless of ability or preferred niche.

Erm…. never been on UKClimbing.com then I take it?

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s the same with Guitarists too.
    Oh you play through a solid state amp? There’s no way you can get a decent tone out of your stock humbuckers. Shredders aren’t musicians, Jazz is the only path to being a ‘true guitarist’. PRS? Bedroom guitarist. The list is endless.

It can be found in all walks of life where there is a group of people. I’m looking at you, spliff politics.

My personal opinion? The thought of petty bitching simply doesn’t occur to those who are happy.

teamslug
    Free Member

Great thread…love and peace fellas. I’m with the OP and proberts and rorschach. Ignore the assholes their just bitter, some replies on here make me laugh so much i cry and sometimes things get lost in translation. We all make mistakes and some people know what they are talking about.I would like to think if i’d got a prob with my bikes someone on here would know how to fix/where to source parts or tell me i ride a crap bike!!!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Slightly disillusioned ……..’ is closed to new replies.