Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slightly Confused And A Bit Miffed ….. 10 Speed Query …..
  • letmetalktomark

After a quick look around for some new gearing bits I decided to give 10 speed a tryout.

After getting it all set up and tested its running sweet but I need to:

a) shorten the chain
    b) need to get a spare powerlink or such like

This si where I am a bit miffed.

9 speed powerlinks are re usable but it would seem the 10 speed powerlock isn’t.

As I have a shimano chain is my only option of a “powerlink” type joining link a KMC jobbie?

I know I could get a couple of spare 10 speed pins but they are easily lost and seem over priced for what they are.

Any suggestions as to what I should go for?

Cheers,

Mark

khani
    Free Member

Nine speed powerlinks work, I know cos a mate snapped his ten speed chain on a ride and we fixed it with my ninespeed powerlink and it worked, no rubbing or funny noises and it shifted fine…

mintimperial

The KMC 10 speed powerlink works fine on my Shimano chain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

agreed on the KMC’s.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230751995344?var=530045592642&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The 9 speeds do indeed work… but they are fractionally too wide so you get a bit of play in them. I used one for 20 miles or so as an emergency, but took it off for a Shimano pin when i got home.

robarnold
    Free Member

Use KMC links, no issues with Shimano chains at all

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Been using 9 speed power links on my 10 speed chain ever since I had it. Broke the original connecting pin fitting the chain.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I reuse 10 speed KMC power links on Shimano and SRAM chains, 4 quid for 2 in Decathlon, they are branded KMC.

theotherjonv

+1 to both these – 9 spd work in a pinch, and get KMC rebranded as decathlon at £4 for 2 complete pairs

Superficial
    Free Member

Apparently the 10 speed Powerlock ones are actually re-usable. They’re just harder to get apart and you may need pliers (or a special tool from Superstar).

I’ve been using the 9 speed ones and not had any problems though.

redted
    Free Member

Little known fact, but KMC make alot of the Shimano chain.

Speshpaul

Decathalon do them for £3.99 a pair

HermanShake
    Free Member

Merlin do YBN ones for £2.26 (to be precise). They work the same as a Powerlink.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m using a 9sp SRAM link on 9sp Shimano and SRAM chains and 10sp SRAM (road) chains. THis has been fine.
    I did have problems with the KMC ones coming apart when i didn’t want them to and have stuck with SRAM ever since.

Northwind

KMC 10-speeds are reusable. Also, they do seem expensive but they’re normally packaged in pairs (ie 4 parts, 2 complete links)

Good tip on Decathlon!

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’ve re-used the 10sp links a few times, I bought some pliers for opening the links, about £8 from CRC.

zippykona

My LBS wanted £10 for a sram power link. When I said I would give it a miss they said £5.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slightly Confused And A Bit Miffed ….. 10 Speed Query …..’ is closed to new replies.