Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Slight rear suspension movement
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I took my shock off the frame for cleaning last week, first time I’ve done this since I bought it in November last year. Reassembled the lot and checked everything was tight enough and everything seemed fine. Today I noticed a little play in the suspension (direction of shock/linkage movement, not side to side) but can’t figure out what it might be as I only undid the bolts that hold the shock on.

Any ideas (it’s a Mondraker Dune)?

khani
    Free Member

Bushings in the shock eyelets i reckon, cheap and easy to do yourself, and not dear at a shop either
    EDIT. If you do it yourself you need this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-SHOCK-BUSHING-TOOL-Fox-bush-tool-KaTec-bikes-/140587185644
    And these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-FOX-REAR-SHOCK-BUSH-DP4-Performance-bushes-fox-shock-/130532057569

atlaz
    Free Member

But the question is why dismantling it caused it to happen? I’ve had bushings blamed by my LBS before for something like this on my Trance and replacing didn’t fix it.

khani
    Free Member

It was probably worn/wearing anyway, and even if you hadn’t dismantled it would start showing some play,
    They are a wear and tear item, some bikes they need doing a couple of times a year, some bikes they last ages,
    Edit, I have no idea why your LBS couldn’t find and fix your bike, if you put your fingers on the top bolt/eyelet part of the shock and lift the bike up and down you should be able to feel for any play, if there’s no movement then it’s either frame linkages or frame bearings,if you work round the frame feeling for play at each bearing/linkage you should be able to find out where the play actually is, but from your description it sound like the top bushing,

Deveron53
    Free Member

Get someone to hold your rear wheel down and then put your hand under the rear of the saddle and gently lift. If you can feel movement then it’s the shock bushing (usually).

dingabell
    Free Member

I had a problem with movement on my Trance and thought it was the shock eyelet bushes. Turned out to be that the bushes had worn the actual eye of the shock out. Maybe check that out?

kaesae
    Free Member

Evening!

I have some guides on you tube to help out with checking your shocks bushes

Here’s how to check your bushes

With the shock off the bike.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgudfcKYwPo[/video]

With the shock on the bike

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Luv_AymsCA[/video]

If you keep on top of the inner bushes you don’t have to replace the outer ones as often, alomst never really.

Outer bushes cost about £20, inner about £1.50.

Hope that made sense and there are some other guides on bearings and other stuff on my channel, it’s not very good, but the info is handy.

juiced
    Free Member

top marks kaesae. liking that.

That’ll teach you to clean your bike – muck holds ’em together dontcha know? 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey juiced 😀

I really hate doing those guides, but it’s the easiest way to show people what they need to know.

I used to use photo’s and descriptions a few years ago to teach riders how to service thier bikes, it was very time consuming!

Now I use a headcam and youtube, I even have 3 subscribers, woohoo!!

It makes me look like a complete idiot but it helps out a lot of riders.

Since I look like a complete idiot on a regular basis, I have built up an immunity to it.

Hope everyone enjoys thier Sunday

atlaz
    Free Member

So, new bushings fitted. Exactly the same movement. Next ideas.

MartynS

worn pivot bearings..

atlaz
    Free Member

Balls. I think I’ll swing it by the local mondraker dealer to give me an opinion before I spend a load of money to be told over/undertightened something or I was cack handed with the bushings

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Slight rear suspension movement’ is closed to new replies.