Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Slight rant – pls explain, standing orders, weekends and bank holidays….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Grrrr…. Just found out our joint account has gone into it’s overdraft as my payment (setup for the 23rd) hasn’t come out of my account until the 26th. Apparently due to the weekends and bank holidays.

Am I stupid or do financial systems also have bank holidays and weekends off? Do the servers go and visit their parents for Good Friday?

druidh
    Free Member

DT78 – Member
    Am I stupid

This is a rhetorical question – right?

simondbarnes

Am I stupid or do financial systems also have bank holidays and weekends off?

Yes, they do.

Do the servers go and visit their parents for Good Friday?

Well it wouldn’t be fair to make them work when we’re all out on our bikes enjoying ourselves.

Cheques, standing orders, direct debits etc have never been taken on bank holidays/weekends AFAIK and will never be taken earlier than the specified date, always next available working day after.

fadda

Imagine. Banks not working on bank holidays.

Tut.

DT78
    Free Member

Oh come on. You telling me the systems are actually programmed not to do anything on bank hols? Weekends fair enough, maybe batch processing but bank hols? Pure cock, just trying to catch punters out.

Drac

The transfer I set on Friday to my account from our joint went through on Sunday. 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine go thru on the day they are et for no matter if ists a sunday a b BH or waht IIRC

edhornby

there are lots of sound reasons for having a person checking the IT is running as well as customer service staff checking that the the outputs are right and that exceptions are processed – both of which are harder to perform on a bank holiday because there are less staff about

depends on the bank though, some are more automated than others but the principles are the same for most/all

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Slight rant – pls explain, standing orders, weekends and bank holidays….’ is closed to new replies.