Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Slight mishap, now looking for bargain cranks
  • rj
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty lucky over the years when it comes to breaking stuff. A few punctures and I think I once pulled the hose out of my rear brake calliper. A pretty good record given my utter ineptitude and tendency to fall off spectacularly on the most innocuous bits of trail. I even had a 2009 Meta 5 that didn’t crack.

However, today I was 15 minutes into my first loop round Cathkin Braes when I put a wee bit of power down to get up a short climb and promptly sheared all four chainring tabs off of my cranks. OK, so they’re 4 or so years old and I had to take a few liberties to get them to run 10 speed, but I’m 10.5 stone and pretty feeble so it was a trifle unexpected.

Anyway, to belatedly get to the point (if anyone has bothered to read this far), has anyone spotted anything that’s more bargainly than Merlin’s 75 quid for an X9? 170mm and 10speed would be nice, but frankly I’ll take what I can get up to the point where they offend my vanity (so that rules Deore out).

wiggles
    Free Member

Check out bike discount, the Germans are very cheap on Shimano stuff generally

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The new Deore stuff is incredible quality wise, your missing out by ruling it out.

Si
    Free Member

Ive got a set of XT M770 Im about to put up for sale for similar money

Send me an email if your interested and il get some pics before they go on general sale on the forum…

Si

wolly
    Free Member

Got one on fleabay: http://bit.ly/1dAtrim

righog
    Free Member

I have got bikes with XT and Deore ,I can not tell the difference, handily if you are worried the Deore logo seems to rub off fairly quickly.

FOG

Actually that is the only difference between my XT and Deore. The logo wore off the Deore and didn’t from the XT. I presume if I weighed them there would be a difference but functionally they are identical. Recent offers on XT at Merlin have had me thinking about swapping the Deore but what would be the point?

honourablegeorge

SLX on Ribble for £68

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Ribble SLX been out of stock a long time

how about the X9 – if you are running 1 x 10 take of the rings and spider, sell these and buy a Works Components SRAM ring?

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works-components-sram-spiderless-chainring-alternating-thickness-extended-tooth-design-267-p.asp

Deveron53
    Free Member

Got some original SLX that are 4 years old and unless you get up close still look about 2 weeks old. Logo still untouched.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Ribble SLX been out of stock a long time

Any idea if they’ll restock that chainset? Based on past experience etc.

I’ve requested notification of them coming back into stock but I’m not massively optimistic. Shame as they’re just what I need and are a cracking price. 😥

Mugboo

What’s the difference between 10spd & 9spd cranks?

I’m running 10spd XT out back and 9spd SLX cranks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Slight mishap, now looking for bargain cranks’ is closed to new replies.