Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Slight frame/fork wobble
  • robowns
    Free Member

If I hold my front brake on and rock my bike back and forth I get a bit of wobble between the forks and frame. If I hold the wheel up and try to rock the forks back and forward they feel pretty sturdy but there is a slight bit of movement.
    I’m sure the space between the top of the stem and streerer is OK as ive tried different size spacers. I also think ive done it up correctly, ie preloaded the bearings before tightening stem bolts.

Anyone think of any solutions? Ive got a tapered headtube with 1 1/8th forks using a hope reducer race. Couldthis be the problem?

Many thanks

kendo954
    Free Member

Headset bearings?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It’s most likely to be headset tension. Before tightening the stem bolts tighten the top cap bolt until the steering just starts to get stiff then back it off until it’s free and tighten the stem bolts.

Could be other things though. Are the fork slider bearings worn?

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Have you been playing with the tension of your headset?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

are you running centre lock rotors?

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve been doing that, tighten the topcap until the cusp of moving freely then the stem bolts, then finish with a touch extra on the top cap.

Headset is only about 4 months old.

And no centre lock rotors.

Cheers lads.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Calipers tightened up properly?

kilo

I’ve been doing that, tighten the topcap until the cusp of moving freely then the stem bolts, then finish with a touch extra on the top cap.

But if you’ve done the stem bolts up then tightening the top cap won’t increase the tension the top cap is exerting

robowns
    Free Member

Yeah calipers fine just double checked.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

How old is the frame/fork?

br
    Free Member

Front wheel bearings are ok?

andyl
    Free Member

some of you guys seem to be putting an awful lot of pre-load into your headset bearings. You don’t need much you know, just like HTII external BB bearings you can wreck them with too much pre-load.

robowns
    Free Member

Frames 2012 Soul fork are 09 revs.
    Wheels are superstar jobbies, with 9mm DT thrubolt.

andyl
    Free Member

take a look at the bottom of your stem cap and your star washer in your forks (or expanding plug if you have a Hope) and make sure that there is plenty of clearance between the two. Then make sure you have 3mm gap between the top of your stem and the top of your steerer when it’s all preloaded up – ie with the stem bolts loose preload the top cap to finger tight checking that all the bearings are seated correct and then remove and check.

If you need to use a spacer above the stem.

robowns
    Free Member

Some good suggestions but I seem to be complying with them all and still have the problem.

Its a new headset,
    Enough gap between top of steerer and top of stem,
    Top cap tightened followed by stem

It is only noticeable when I rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on or I hear a slight clunk when I brake using just the front.

Anyone else with any solutions this is driving me mad.

tomhoward

Does it rock with the brake on? Rotor bolts tight?

br
    Free Member

Dismantle it all, and check the components.

If Hope headset, have you the three slim spacers installed?

robowns
    Free Member

Good call Tom, ill check.

Yeah hope headset, 3 spacers are in place.

robido

fork bushes maybe.put a finger between fork brace and stanchtion pull brake on and rock bike to see if there is movement

robowns
    Free Member

Rotor bolts are tight 🙁

robowns
    Free Member

robido, think youve solved it mate, ta

nick1962
    Free Member

Process of elimination.
    It’s not the brakes ,rotors,wheel bearings,quick release,wheel seated correctly in the dropouts,stem clamp?
    When did it start and what changes had you made,if any?
    If none then maybe fork bushings as already stated.
    Not seen the Hope headset but I know with my reducer headset I had to push the ring down with my thumbs that sits next to the bearing race and make it all snug before tightening the top cap.
    Good luck and maybe get someone else to check if they can feel where it’s coming from and if all else fails dismantle everything and put it back together again.

robowns
    Free Member

Feels as though there is slight movement between the stanchion and fork brace.

robowns
    Free Member

Just played around with it for 5 mins and I now think otherwise, im useless. The slight clunk I can hear gets louder if I put my ear next to the stem.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Slight frame/fork wobble’ is closed to new replies.