Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sliding dropout light xc
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thats what I'm after but know little on weights, I only do light xc so the frame doesnt need to be armoured up! due to injury I have a weak arm and as I have to lift the bike fequently I was wondering what are the light frames out there? (Build will come over time but I need to start with the right frame) I really like the Voodoo bikes, especially the Wanga but is it worth going for the aluminium frames instead?
    ps cant afford carbon or Ti.
    So far looked at Kona unit, orange P7 and Wanga but I cant compare weight as they were totaly different builds.

Any one been there already and got advice? I had a brief look at the old threads and didnt find much on sliding dropout specific bikes.

Phill

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went custom, I'm not sure what is available off the shelf.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

On One Scandal? I know it's not a sliding dropout but slots do pretty much the same job.

simon1975

18" Kona Unit 😆

Yes go for the Scandal if you want lightweight – you might have to wait for one with track ends though. Or get an Inbred for £99!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow that unit's 1.5lb lighter than my 29er one!

simon1975

It's a 2004 Truetemper one. Loads less metal than on the 29er (had a comparison with someone's clown-bike last Saturday)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade, Surly 1×1, Cotic Simple there's a few out there.

sheldona
    Free Member

Tim @ Sideways has a lovely De Kerf for sale? I think its £2K fully built dripping with nice stuff? Not sure if he'd split?

cynic-al
    Free Member

2004 – the year a lot of them snapped?

simon1975

2004 – the year a lot of them snapped?

😆

My downtube rotted through at the top butting. Repaired nicely and still going strong. It's brown now, though. You can see the repair plate here if you look carefully:

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀 Nice looking trail, where?

simon1975

Top of Cheddar Gorge 😉

I just found this photo of the corroded downtube.

swampi
    Free Member

Hey simon dont go calling my unit 2-9 fat!!!!!!!!she will get a complex ya know….tis true she aint no light weight, the inbred slot drop out is lighter

simon1975

😀

Let's call her "sturdy" then! I guess she's bigger-boned to fit her shoes, but she's got gussets and more reinforcement than my baby 😉

I've not weighed my spare Inbred which arrived on Monday…

swampi
    Free Member

oh and dont we love a good gusset 😀

pixelmix
    Free Member

+1 for the Scandal if you can make do with slot dropouts. I don't think you can get them new at the moment, but I'm sure a used one could be found. My 16" vertical dropout model comes in at 3.4lbs which isn't bad for a cheap aluminium bike.

epicyclo

Voodoo Bokor frame is light – about 1.6kg. Nice bike to ride, but I don't use it much now because I prefer 29ers.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks so far chaps, after sliding dropouts because I have a scandal 29er doing commuter duty and was after replacing my very old alu frame xc bike (vertical drops) so I want ss specific and slightly less bother than slot dropouts. It looks like very small weight savings going alu rather than steel frame so I may give it a go.

epicyclo-hows the voodoo sizing? I'm 6'3 and got the chance of a 19" Wanga but a little concerned it may be too small?

PJay
    Free Member

The P7 isn't likely to be that light but if you fancy steel the new 2010 Pipedream Sirius in 853 ought to be worth a look. It's got sliding dropouts (Paragon I think) and should retail at £295. They're not due in until mid April though (I've been waiting since November/December).

qwerty
    Free Member
    jasonm945
    Free Member

I had a 19" Bokor and I'm 5'11 so I would suspect that 19" is too small for 6'3" unless you run a very long seat post.
    Voodoo size up the same as Kona…

Jay

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sliding dropout light xc’ is closed to new replies.