Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Slide hammer bearing puller for FSR?
  • davosaurusrex

Will this type work to get the horst link and front triangle bearings out?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201522761135?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got one horst bearing out with an expanding wedge tool but the other seems bloody tight/frozen to the point that hitting the bar onto the wedge tool destroyed the thread on it. So it needs to have a bit of oomph to get it moving I think.

colp

I’m in Wirral if you want to borrow a set?

davosaurusrex

Thanks for the offer but I’m in Worthing.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

It’ll do the job I have a posh version in the shop but pretty much all do the same job and looks like it has the right sizes for what you been just remember to take it easy and try to pull as straight as you can. Don’t get angry and smash the crap out of them! Can say that enough.

BoardinBob

Yes that’ll work. I’ve got the Superstar set which is very similar albeit with more collet size options. Makes it a doddle. I’ve used it for frame and wheel bearings

davosaurusrex

Cheers. Have seen the one Superstar are knocking out cheap but I suspect the size I need is sold out. Will check later though

Gilles

I got the same one and it works trying to remove some cups from my SC VPP link. I did spray some WD40 before and wait a bit. I tried the boiling water method but it didn’t work- and yes, as said before:

Don’t get angry and smash the crap out of them!

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointer, just ordered a set.

Very timely as I was bashing out bearings with a hammer last week and disintegrating them I though “I really must get the right tool to do this”

survivor

The quality will be suspect on that so make sure the handle and collet are fastened up nice and tight before hammer to stop the threads shearing. Stop and check them again during vigorous whacking!

I talk from experience.

Handle came off mine but l luckily got a friend with a lathe to fix it.

davosaurusrex

Hmmm. Will give them a spray of plus gas first. Not sure about putting plusgas on the carbon front triangle though, will try a spray of WD40 on those I think

windydave13
    Free Member

I bought similar but found the smallest one was still too big to get inside the smaller horst bearings. It was however, handy if they fall apart and you’re left with just the outer shell left in the frame.

davosaurusrex

Horst bearings on my 2012 Stumpy are same as the majority of the others, only the two middle ones on the upper linkage are bigger. Will break out the verniers later

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Slide hammer bearing puller for FSR?’ is closed to new replies.