Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 'Slick' Tarmac tyre recommendation for 26" MTB
  • grtdkad

I’ve got a charity road ride looming and don’t fancy dragging my MTB tyres around (and I don’t have a road bike) – do any of you have any recommendations for a pair of skinny, fast-rolling road tyres to fit MTB 26″ rims**

** to complicate the spec, my wheels have an air pressure tolerance of between 35-55psi

Thanks

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Do you need lightweight speedy tyres or puncture proof heavy Marathon Plus tyres?

grtdkad

Lightweight & speedy preferred for the couple of road-based events coming up

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Supersonics by Continental.

samunkim
    Free Member

Thread Hijack

Seeking similar but tacky as possible for urban carparks n cobbles race

billytinkle
    Free Member

Are you sure you have that pressure limit? You probably don’t if you’re running with tubes.

Anyway, if you want low pleasure you’ll want large volume. Schwalbe Kojak in 2.0 x 26. Very light, very fast and look good on a MTB.

grtdkad

Thanks, those Kojaks could just do the job!

steve73
    Free Member

I have used schwalbe City Jet tyres when I commuted in my 26ins hardtail. I had no problems with these and they can be run at high pressure and they are very cheap

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just a heads up to say the 26×1.5 folding bead Kojak (~295g) is on offer for £19.99 at Next Day Tyres.

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-KOJAK-MTB-26/1841

I never got around to trying Kojaks on my old 26″ Pylon8, but the 2.35 Super Moto is a nice road “balloon” tyre.

emanuel
    Free Member

kojaks are great: fast, light.
    marathon supremes:fast, good puncture protection.lasts.
    big apples, not as fast,but more than decent. last well, don’t puncture much.
    can’t go wrong with any of them.

grtdkad

Thanks all

Have bought the Kojaks off Next Day Tyres, they’re just down the road from us so good to keep the business local.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just used some Continental Sport Contacts.

Fast but boy is the rubber soft! Grippy in the wet, but wears out if you’re riding day in/out.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but I currently have some 1.95 Cityjets on my rigid bike (26″).

Are the 2.00 Kojacks better? Would be going on a mix of road and canal towpaths.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Another hijack , i have a new set of marathons if anyone’s after a set , brand spanking new and surplus to requirements
    Sorry

kerley
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but I currently have some 1.95 Cityjets on my rigid bike (26″).

Are the 2.00 Kojacks better? Would be going on a mix of road and canal towpaths.

They would be around 200g lighter, each. So to me that would make them better.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers kerley. I didn’t realise just how heavy the Cityjets are!

People have commented before on how they make the ride feel a little “dead”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘'Slick' Tarmac tyre recommendation for 26" MTB’ is closed to new replies.