Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slick MTB quick question
  • robowns
    Free Member

Morning all,

I currently have one bike, a 26″ Cotic Soul which I ride a couple of times a week for 10-25miles around Epping and the surrounding area.

I have been asked if I would like to take part in a 60mile ride from Sussex to the coast and back. There will be multiple groups averaging 14mph to 17+.

I’ve been offered a flat-barred roadie to use, although I am considering putting slicks on my MTB (pretty light build, but 1×9 36t chain ring 11-34). Would I be at much of a disadvantage using my MTB? Have never rode on slicks before so input appreciated.

somouk
    Free Member

The road bike will most likely be a lot faster and less effort on the roads compared to riding your bike with slicks.

Might not be as comfortable though if it’s a bike you’re not used to.

thomthumb
    Free Member

x9 36t chain ring 11-34

you don’t have the gears imo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davewalsh
    Free Member

^^ what he said ^^. A 15-16mph average is doable on a slicked-up mtb but not with a 36t ring as you will be short of top-end gears. Do you have a 44t that you could put on for the ride?

bigyinn
    Free Member

My rigid Marin is used for semi regular road riding.
    I have a set of Conti 26 x 1″ GPs which look ridiculous on it, but by god does it shift.
    Its also got a 48t big which helps with the gearing.
    Dont even think of taking it near dirt though!

robowns
    Free Member

I don’t unfortunately, stuck with what I have.
    I’ve agreed to do it on the basis that I can average ~14mph over 30miles solo on the road back home in Warks with Racing Ralphs on.
    I’ll just stick with the slow group I think, obviously not trying to attempt to match the high end speeds.

Thanks for the input, it’s appreciated, more of an idea what I’m getting into.

cookeaa

I’d Take up the offer of the Road bike, Gearing/Tyres/weight/Rider position should all be better suited to traveling longer distances at speed on the road… why waste money on a set of slick tyres for one ride?

Will you get a chance to try out and adjust the road bike before the ride?

Also, got any Lycra? Flappy MTB kit will help slow you down/waste your energy…

robowns
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, that’s half the problem really and I am quite a different height to the rider.

My Soul is probably lighter than his roadbike, which is actually more hybrid on reflection.
    I have got relatively tight fitting top/shorts which should work, only concern is the gearing now really.

Wondering if any kind soul on here has a 42t 104bcd ring they are not using which they could post to me to be returned post ride (I’ll obviously cover costs).

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I run Big Apples, makes nice ride quality.

However with a 36t front ring you’ll run out of gears, I run a 57t up front FWIW.

robowns
    Free Member

Ahhh I’ve just realised, I have the 44t ring from when I 1x’d my six cranks – sorted!

The whole route only has about 2k ft elevation so I would have thought 44-34 would be OK up an hills.

adsh
    Free Member

I commute on my Soul with a shagged racing ralph on the back and a cheap ron on the front. High pressures 45r 40f. I’m only about 3minutes slower over 17miles than my road bike and it’s much more comfortable on crappy lanes.

I suspect I’d prefer 36 than 44.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, a 44t will be better. On the level you’ll still be spinning nicely without turning yourself inside out trying to keep up, downhill, just coast once you’re up to 30mph!

kcal

Have a 26″ Stumpjumper M2 that is now slick at rear, semi slick at front – rigid forks, 42t to 14t at rear.

Good for steady 15mph no problem, up to about 20mph in short bursts, not been a problem up moderate hills.

Northwind

I used to like my Soul on the road (I came this close to turning my Soda into a hybrid 😆 ). So yeah, 44T on it, decent slicks ideally not some heavy draggy commuter thing, lovely.

A proper hybrid still almost certainly makes more sense, though.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I put landcruisers on for the ride up to cote de cray from gargrave which made it a hell of a lot easier but still grippy when i needed them (extreme terrain around the leeds liverpool canal) and they only cost £22 for the pair from halfords.

robowns
    Free Member

Quick update for anyone even vaguely interested.
    I tried the slicks out on a few local rides with my 36t chain ring and agreed with everyone on here – ran out of top end a fair bit.
    Turns out my chain was too short for a bigger ring so just did the 60mile ride with it anyway.

http://www.strava.com/activities/167635950

Went quite well, always held my own on the climbs, struggled to keep up down the hills and had to try hard on the flats, but overall it was a good laugh and by far the furthest I’ve ever ridden.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slick MTB quick question’ is closed to new replies.