Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • sleeping bags
  • flatfish
    Free Member

had a look at the mountain hardware phantom 32 down bag and the phantom 45 today but didn’t like the price tag of £180 and 160 repectivly.
    is there anything similar with a lower price tag?
    tried alpkit and they suggest a pipedream 400 but none in stock till may and they have a 400 strong waiting list so will probs sell straight out.

looking for something light and that packs small with a comfort rating of about 0 deg c.

JB
    Free Member

Spend the money!!! You’ll never, ever regret buying a good down bag… RAB make the best.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

montylikesbeer

the alpkit SkyeHigh 600, is worth a look at £80.00 and in stock.

druidh
    Free Member

The Phantom 32 is a fantastic bag, lightweight and very warm. I actually have a heavier bag for “winter” use, but never use it any more. The P32 has done me down to minus 5C. One thing to watch is the half-length zip – some folk feel a bit constrained by it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve still got my first down sleeping bag from 1978 when I did D.of E. Cost £15 and has never been washed!! – they told me it wasn’t washable in the shop.

It’s absolutely mingin, but i just can’t part with it.

CHB

sorry I bought the last two alpkit 400’s in the country last week! None showing on website, but they had a couple lurking (years of dealing with on-one made me ring up to check!).
    I saw a decent down sleeping bag at a huge camping shop in wakefield last week.
    Can’t remember brand but it has elasticated baffles and was goose down and rated to approx -5.
    It was reduced from £180 to about £95, I froogled it in store and it was £150 plus everywhere else.
    Had I not just bought two skyhigh 400’s then I would have been coming home with me. Think its still there.

BadlyWiredDog

Mountain Equipment and Rab both make good down bags, but equally they’re not cheap. Alpkit cuts out the retail margin and keeps things simple but effective, which is why they’re such good value. If you’re anywhere near the Peak, check out the Mountain Equipment factory shop, Magic Mountain, in Glossop. They often have fantatic deals on seconds which are functionally perfect.

donald
    Free Member

Rab quality isn’t as good as it used to be. Sadly.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I can second Mountain Equipment and Magic Mountain in Glossop. They sell the ME cosmetic seconds and samples and you get some good deals. I got a 700 fill down bag (ME Classic Dragon) a few years ago for £120.00, think it had the drawcord toggle missing….you can buy one for pennies! I also bought a lighter synthetic bag from them, it had some stitching missing…easily fixed myself. Give them a call and see what they have…

http://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/index_files/page0004.htm

ciron
    Free Member

I’m liking my Marmot Never Winter down bag that I bought last year.

Seems warm enough to me. Light, packs small, £135 in Cotswold.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘sleeping bags’ is closed to new replies.