Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sleeping bag- what to choose- synthetic or down?…..
  • hopefiendboy

Looking for a sleeping bag, looking at the Alpkit ones for 110 quid which are down filled- SH600 3 sean jobbie.

Now, I have a travel speeping bag and some generic synthetic ones already, but what bag would you choose and why? Possibly being used for bivvies, outdoor but I cannot forsee any serious winter use.

Any advice?

Cheer in advance!

Paul

titusrider
    Free Member

I went for down for the warmth and pack size for my camping one, however i know i would pretty much always be in a tent, if you are bivvying/ just under a tarp etc you might be better with synthetic

MarkN
    Free Member

Down bags are great for warmth and pack size. The trouble is they really suffer if they get wet, much more than a foam bag. I have found a bag liner is good at “topping up” if the bag is a bit short on insulation.

It is a while since I have looked at bags but I think that there are now low bulk high insulation foam bags.

Edit: Don’t forget to store the bag opened up and not compressed in the small pack size.

ojom
    Free Member

Synthetic for me on account of wetness potential being high in Scotland.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If it might get used in a bivvy bag or on its own then I’d consider a synthetic one. Otherwise it’s not that hard to keep down ones dry if they’ll only come out of the sac in a tent or bunkhouse or whatever.

KonaTC

either way get a 4 seasons rated bag, you can always open it if you are to warm, nothing worse than being cold and trying to sleep

jameso

Too warm a bag can be a problem tho, you can always wear an extra layer or 2 inside the bag if needed. I have a -5 rated down bag and it’s too warm at times, especially in summer – a lighter bag plus a spare layer or 2 would be a better combo. Varies from one person to another I think.

tonyd

As above, if bivvying then consider a synthetic. Down is great for pack size, weight, and insulation but if it gets wet insulation drops off a cliff. Not so bad for one night but if you’re out for multiple nights and unlikely to be able to dry it you’ll be miserable.

I’ve got one of each, shame I never get to use them anymore!

Edit: Agreed on the too warm thing. I’d rather layer up than be too hot.

RestlessNative
    Free Member
    nikk
    Free Member

For tents, for me, Down Golite quilt.

Double dry bagged.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag- what to choose- synthetic or down?…..’ is closed to new replies.