Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sleeping bag for bivving
  • chockyb
    Free Member

Anyone recommend me a sleeping bag for a bivvy trip in March/April that’s not going to result in me freezing to death, budget around £50 but don’t know If that’s realistic? Got a Alpkit bivvy bag ready btw.

biglee1

Ex army stuff for that price where you get weight and bulk for free 🙂

biglee1

Get a thin fleece blanket as well

deejayen
    Free Member

Possibly a Blizzard Bag…? I’ve got one but still haven’t got around to using it, so can’t give a first hand review. I tend to sleep cold, and have ‘frozen to death’ in a down bag in April/May, but the Blizzard Bag might be okay with a bivvy bag and a decent sleeping pad.

piemonster

2nd hand?

I suspect most bivvy bags never/rarely get used. Wouldn’t suprise me to see a decent 2nd hand market for them.

I’ve slept…..no that’s not right. I’ve laid down on the ground at night in a Blizzard Bag. I would not recommend it.

Make sure you’ve a decent sleeping mat to insulate yourself from the ground. You’ll lose a lot of heat that way.

oliverracing

Anyone recommend me a sleeping bag….
    ….Got a Alpkit bivvy bag ready btw.

As nobody else seems to have read your post, I suggest the vango range of bags – well priced (at go-outdoors) and they do a synthetic one that I seem to remember fitting your description

EDIT: this is the one I was thinking about (4 season) or this one (3 season)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Funny you should ask

Although it doesn’t actually recommend any specific bags, it might be useful in helping you choose.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I do really well in a Carinthia Defence 4, more like a 3 season. Deals to be had used, mine was about £80 iirc. Huge hood and drawstring takes it down to 6″ vent for nose and mouth if preferred ,consequently have dealt with some severe weather. Slightly waterproof outer and synthetic filling helps with maintenace too. Not lightweight on the trail tho by any standards….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you already own any sort of duvet/down/pimaloft jacket, then you have part of your sleeping bag already. match that with any light weight sleeping bag and you have ideal bivi kit
    Something like this 710gms and will pack down very small
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rab-Atlas-sleeping-bag-/331499094156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2ee2c08c

They don’t actually say which Atlas it is (probably because it doesn’t say on the bag). Atlas was/is Rabs basic down bag, but I’ve had an Atlas 1000 winter bag for years and it’s a good bag. based on that weight (if it’s true) then it’s going to be a summer/spring Atlas bag

scrumfled
    Free Member

Everyone feels the cold different. I bivi’d at the start of december in an army gore bag + a snugpak travelpak 3. Set of thermals on too (in case I want to get up for a piss) and Im toasty warm.

Take a spare set of thermals if you’re worried and double up if you need to.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sorry, that Atlas bag is fill weight of 710gms, not the actual bag weight, so difficult to guestimate what season it is unless you asked them to weigh it. My Atlas 1000 4season/winter bag weighs 1740gms (1800gms if you incl a stuff sack).

Take a spare set of thermals if you’re worried and double up if you need to.

It also keeps your bag clean if you wear tomorrows baselayers

piemonster

😀 at my thread reading fail

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag for bivving’ is closed to new replies.