Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Slated parts/components that you love..
  • weeble
    Free Member

Another vote for Avid brakes

Scapegoat

A pair of Superstar Superleggera wheels from the “flamewars” era,that lasted me three years on two sets of bearings with the most bombproof rims in the known universe. Never a moment’s problem with them.

So good I’ve had them serviced and relaced with Stans Flow rims. Nice.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Gripshift. Loved SRAM X0.
    The newer 10sp (and XX1) just doesn’t look like it will be as good and its heavier and rather expensive. Yet to try it though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 For Crank Brothers Pedals, my candy’s were great until they exploded, but then they did last 3x longer than the atacs I used to use and if I’d bothered they did give plenty of warning they were getting loose, and an £11 rebuild should fix them.

Now I’ve got 3 sets (Cr-mo originals, stainless originals and the bottom of the top range of the new style)

saladdodger
    Free Member

Maverick SC32 forks I had mine for 5 years with no problems they just worked ( I did service them quite a bit but I am a compulsive fiddler)

Gone now because I needed some longer forks to compensate for my lack of skill

fizzicist
    Free Member

Rapid Rise – gutted its been dropped

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Crud Gonzo

It just works really well for me on my fork (which has limited clearance for anything other sort of mudguard, but plenty of mud clearance despite that. )

Coyote
    Free Member

Hayes Nine brakes and Crank Bros 50/50 pedals.

trevron73
    Free Member

Its got to be Crank Brothers for me , i love their Kit,here’s hoping i long continue to….! Got some more for Christmas(uppy downy thing)

Just thinking all the weight i saved with stem , bars, skewers and saddle -ive just overwritten with a uppy downy Ha ha ..But Still mmmmm

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Another vote for dual control shifters. So intuitive I even find myself trying to change gear with the brake/clutch levers on my VFR…

I’m now buying up old stocks in case my sets ever die. Not that I’ve broken one yet in 7 years.

juan
    Free Member

Rapid rise, I have them on all my bikes, and I am so pised they’ve stopped it as well, I only have one as a spare.

colournoise

Gripshift.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gripshift.

Agreed, actually. I love my X-Rays, even more so after they were works-tweaked by the folks from GS. Still work perfectly on the rare occasions I ride the retro-wagon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for rapid rise too, although I’m not sure if it’s just me better timing my shifts but I’ve not felt the disadvantages of ‘normal’ mechs since going to shimano 10s

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

High rollers
    Superstar wheels

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Crank Brothers Pedals – Best in the world
    Marzocchi Forks
    Dropper Posts – KS
    Hope Brakes – How can people not get on with them

I’d probably have tried some more superstar stuff but the site would never let me buy anything – my fault I know

sbob
    Free Member

Rock shox suspension seatpost.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Nearly forgot my Conti Light MTB tubes, only punture ive had with em was running over a broken bottle that left a 2cm gash in my tire!

stevestunts
    Free Member

Plus 1 for Rapid Rise.

My brain can just about cope with ‘USE EITHER THUMB TO MAKE IT HARDER TO PEDAL’.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Formula oro brakes.
    inner tubes
    100mm stems
    intense tyres
    £8 240 lumen dx torches used as bike lights
    shimano hubs
    raceface jackets (x2)
    8 speed drivetrains
    ooooold marzocchi 66 (2.8 kg! Made in Italy mind, so it still works)

orangeboy
    Free Member

Grip shift. Getting huge abuse From my mates for still Useing it

mintimperial

Another Gripshift fan here. Love my X0s, absolutely bombproof (for some reason I’m really good at killing trigger shifters).

Bregante

SRAM shifters. I’ve run the same X7 shifters on my last 3 bikes. Much prefer them over SLX/XT.

brakes
    Free Member

Crank Bros pedals – brilliant piece of design and I’ve had no reliability issues with 4 pairs (all on different bikes)
    Shimano might not break, but they break my knees

Saccades
    Free Member

They have gotten rid of rapid rise?

Pants – the wife loves the previously mentioned “use thumbs to have to push harder” simplicity and I’ve gone rapid rise as 2 of my bikes are alfined which are the same shift as rapid rise.

have to get some mechs in, i think.

Oh, Hope Ti Skewers, Pace forks and integrated headsets.

theocb
    Free Member

😀 some classic ‘marmite’ parts there people.

‘going uphill’ 😆

Had me reminiscing all day about old bikes and quirky set ups.

njee20
    Free Member

Oo yes, Gripshift. Agree with Matt on the new ones not looking as good.

AlexSimon

Oh forgot – 26″ wheels.

The reason I like rapid rise isn’t just the fact that both mechs operate similarly, it’s that lovely ultra-reliable brainless silent trigger downshift when you are just winching your way uphill.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Slated parts/components that you love..’ is closed to new replies.