Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Slapper Tape or the like?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I need to make a chainstay protector.

I’m sure I sure Doddy recommend 3M thin mastik tape, but I’ve had a few drinks and I can’t work out what’s thin and what’s not.

I’ve found mention of something called Slapper Tape (tasteful) again made by 3M but no one seems to sell it anymore.

Anyone made something similar? What did you use?

mark90
    Free Member

3M 2228 is the stuff

simondbarnes

I just use an old inner tube

P-Jay
    Free Member

@mark90

Thanks Dude

nickdavies
    Free Member

I use electrical tape, it tends to self amalgamate if you keep it clean and cut the end clean, go back over the end with a couple more wraps. Tried everything from copter tape to tubes to posh tape to Velcro fabric protectors and electrical tape is by far the best.

nairnster
    Free Member
    mark90
    Free Member

That Marsh slapper tape looks exactly like the 3M 2228 tape, but around 3 times the price. That’s an expensive plastic tub it comes in.

@P-Jay, YW dude 🙂

Northwind

That’s Marsh’s business model, take someone else’s idea or product, write Marsh on it with a sharpie and charge a fortune. He wouldn’t sell many if they were 1/3d the price.

I use 2228, it’s excellently sticky, it forms to frames well, it’s not too expensive and it works, can’t really see past it.

nairnster
    Free Member

And where do people get 2228 cheap?

Northwind

I couldn’t find cheap so I just went to ebay, £18 for 3 metres which’d do a load of bikes. (though, it is quite useful stuff elsewhere)

ajantom

Local hardware/diy store and a roll of self-amalgamating tape from the plumbing section for about £4. Think it was 10metres.

Sometimes local is best!

wynne
    Free Member

I just use a strip of gorilla tape. Working well so far.

atlaz
    Free Member

I bought a roll of the 3M stuff (5 metres from memory). Lasted me 8 bikes before I lost it somewhere.

paulg22
    Free Member

+1 for self-almalgamating tape. I use it on MTB chain stays and wrapped the entire frame of my commuter with the stuff (for about a tenner).

molgrips
    Free Member

2228 is mastic tape according to google? Sealant in a strip?

matt_outandabout

I just use an old inner tube

+1

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve used a old tube in the past, but there just isn’t the the clearance as the chanstay rounds the tyre / joins the linkage.

mark90
    Free Member

2228 is mastic tape according to google? Sealant in a strip?

Think of it as a soft, malleable, (very) sticky backed rubber strip.

Yes it can be used to seal cable joints, as per its intended use, similar to self amalgamating tape, but unlike self amalgamating tape it will stick very well to other surfaces (eg bikes) without needing to wrap round on itself.

The soft rubber is also very good at quietening chain or cable slap, as well as protecting the frame from damage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t it collect crud?

mark90
    Free Member

No more so than an old inner tube.

This tape has been on at least 6 months

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XLLQc9]20170903_171145[/url] by Mark Mtb, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Y7Htgj]20170903_172224[/url] by Mark Mtb, on Flickr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Slapper Tape or the like?’ is closed to new replies.