Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Slapheads of Singletrackworld-some advice please
  • LimboJimbo

At my last trip to the barbers, the chap who who has been happily taking my money for the last few years, delicately suggested he couldn’t, in all good conscience, continue to do so. The problem is where I do have hair, it’s really thick and dark, so If I do shave it down to a one or two, I will have to do it pretty regularly or risk looking like a young Mr Burns.

So, What do you do? Very short clippered? Bic and a can of Mr Sheen? How do you get a nice even length so you don’t look like a Gulag inmate.

I await helpful suggestions and brutal ridicule with equal anticipation.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Wax it 😀

LimboJimbo

Veet or Autogylm? 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bradley
    Free Member

Lop it all off.

juanking

Grade 0 therefore no messing about. Simple.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just go into TKmaxx and get some Wahl clippers. #1 or 2 to suit. Got a wife to tidy up the back?

sargey

Bic it off,full duncan goodhew!

ashmonkey
    Free Member

I gave up with hair yesterday. Grade one all over. I do look a little like I’m being admitted to a ward for my own safety but its nice not having hair anymore. There comes a time when its that thin you just gotta give up on it.

zippykona

Comb over?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Something for the weekend? Sir.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member
    Something for the weekend? Sir.

Are you suggesting he wear a condom? Think that is taking the shiny head idea a little too literally…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

When it became apparent that my widow’s peak was becoming a difficut to manage solar panel I saved money at the barbers and just clippered it. Forget the grading attachments just go with the blades, bish bosh. Tried shaving just haven’t the patience. Feels good after years of unkempt longness and my choice of hats seems to have grown

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Been doing my own for years, sincere I was about 22, clippers over the bath with no guard, then razored if I can be bothered. Was a big decision to go to the barbers the first time and tell them to No1 it. Never looked back since.

Or premature kojakulation as it’s known 😉

endurogangster
    Free Member

Regaine?

sc-xc

After years of using clippers once a week (grade 0) I have seen the light.

Babyliss proper hair cutting thing

Half the time, half the mess, half the faff.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

badnewz
    Free Member

Start with a short buzz cut, around number 2. Don’t razor it right away – you want the skin on your head to get used to being exposed to the sun (it hasn’t before).
    Then if you feel like it later on razor it, but make sure you use sun screen or wear a hat.
    I started losing my hair around 19, now 33 and razor it once a week.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Gillette razor all round 🙂

Use some balm to reduce the burn.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I started losing mine at 17 and took the lot off straight away. I now do a grade 0 every couple of weeks. There’s no point prolonging the balding process, once it’s going it’s going so get rid of it.

Don’t skimp on clippers, buy a decent set straight away as not only are you saving on the barbers, but you’ll save on clippers in the long run. Ceramic or self-sharpening steel are the ones to get, built-in battery so you can charge and then use wireless. I got a nice £50 pair of phillips ones on offer at £35 about 5 years ago and they’re still going strong.

Other top tips: get a small hand mirror to check the back of your head in the main mirror. Failing this, take selfies of the back of your head on your phone (a handy skill to acquire), but remember to turn wifi off if you have auto-upload, or expect 50 odd photos of the back of your head to accumulate on there.

Final tip: Sun cream.

EDIT: Always thought the circular type clippers sc-xc linked to were a bit of a gimmick, but could be worth a go if they’re that good.

Grade 0, blade on shortest setting, once a week else it starts looking fuzzy – do the face twice a week with the same clippers, but adjusted back slightly to avoid cuts

Sum
    Free Member

Grade 0 every week, and the beard too with the blades pulled back. Wahl clippers will last +20 years if you oil the blades regularly.

epicyclo

jimoiseau – Member
    …Always thought the circular type clippers sc-xc linked to were a bit of a gimmick, but could be worth a go if they’re that good.

I have those. Fundamentally useless. A polishing attachment on a Black & Decker would be more useful.

chewkw
    Free Member

Grade 0 all over for me. If I leave it for more than two weeks I will look like a Koala bear.

Coyote
    Free Member

Bare blades all over.

If the lawn ain’t growing then a patio it is.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Be careful doing your own. My plastic guard broke and I didn’t realise. It then shaved a thin line of blade 0 on the back go my head.

The mrs does it now.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Try get ceramic bladed. They last much longer than steel and no oil required. If doing it yoursel do not adjust the blade or put on any attachments. Do however mind the tops of your ears as they will nick the bit of skin if you fold your ears forward whilst looking in the mirror shaving said point!
    Welcome to the yearly bottle of Johnsons baby shampoo and freedom

sc-xc

You must be doing it wrong.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I started losing mine at 17 and took the lot off straight away. I now do a grade 0 every couple of weeks. There’s no point prolonging the balding process, once it’s going it’s going so get rid of it.

I lost 3/4ths of an inch off my hairline between 16 and 19.

I’m 26 now and it’s hardly moved ever since, the widows peak has maybe accentuated a little but at least I’ve grown in to it now. I kind of like it actually, I look a bit more distinguished and blokey. I Just go with a 2/3 up the sides and a 3/4 on top depending on what I feel like.

Don’t get the 0 all over either, do a 1 even if you’ve lost it all on top. It just ends up looking like you are compensating for something, again if you are in shape and just go with the 1 in this situation…you look like an ageing army Officer – which is nothing to cry about.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Once a week with no guard on my Wahl’s.
    I’ve had them for about 10 years, blow them clean after every cut and re-oil maybe once every month or so. I don’t go near my napper with a razor of any sort, couldn’t be arsed with all that faff. 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Slapheads of Singletrackworld-some advice please’ is closed to new replies.