Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Slammed stem – will I die?
  • ratherbeintobago

Have dropped the stem on the new bike so it’s sat on the top race, with two 5mm spacers above (until I decide whether I like this and get the LBS to cut the steerer down). SFN now above the stem – will I die?

legend
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter where the SFN is in relation to the stem, it’s just for pre-loading the headset.

gerryberry
    Free Member

will I die?

Eventually, yes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yes, unless you’re flexible enough and you can maintain the hip rotation require to produce the power deemed necessary by such a position

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So if my maths is right you dropped it a whopping 1cm, steady on there. Don’t do anything else rash today.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t have spacers on any of my bikes, not because I is rad, or ever use the word ‘slam’ but because I’d rather ride the frame the way it was designed in terms of geometry. And I also have no interest in the sell on value of forks due to steerer length.

I’ve not died.

legend
    Free Member

you really think that all frame were designed to be ridden with the stem against the headtube? Zero rise for every stem I assume too?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s always suited me, you may be different. 😀

fasthaggis

If it feels too short,just extend it back up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d suggest you keep an eye on it

ratherbeintobago

So if my maths is right you dropped it a whopping 1cm, steady on there. Don’t do anything else rash today.

TBF my question was more whether it mattered if the nut was now above the top of the stem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Slammed stem – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.