Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Slackening an older Zesty
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a deal that I couldn’t turn down on a 2011 Zesty, and I’ll want to tweak the geometry a little.

Works Components seem to have the correct 1.5 degree angle-adjust headset in stock, which I think would would bring the head angle to 66.5.

I expect it’d keep the seat tube angle within reasonable bounds amd actually improve the BB height by making it neutral or even a slight drop.

Has anyone tried this? It’d be reassuring to hear from owners who’ve done it and it’s worked fine. Found lotsa threads on here about offset bushings but not slacksets.

🙂

raisinhat
    Free Member

Not quite the same, but I’ve heard lots of people running it with 160mm forks and saying it’s an improvement. I reckon slackening off the head-angle but keeping it with a 140mm fork would probably feel great.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh yes, and I’ll be switching between a 150mm Marz 44 most of the time and a 160mm Marz 55 for special occasions.

So that’ll probably raise the BB a bit again and slacken the HA a smidge more I guess, and slacken the seat angle back a bit again.

Can’t see any catches here.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I had a 2011 zesty with a 1 degree works headset and a 150mm fork now I’ve got a 2013 zesty again with a 1 degree slacker headset and a 160mm fork both felt great!!!

maxtorque

what slackset did you use in your 2013 Chris??

(considering one for mine)

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Works componants 1 degree, it’s been great no issues. Must post a pic one day just to be slated.
    White and green 414 frame with blue crank bros iodine wheels!!! Proper marmite bike!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers.

Your bike sounds interesting. Some people like Marmite though remember!

😉

slowrider
    Free Member

The angle adjust headsets actually drop the front end a little too, while dropping the BB and steepening the seat. So running slightly longer fork will probably put everything close to where it was before fitting the headset, but with a slacker HA

sillyoldman
    chakaping
    Free Member

I have ordered the 1.5 headset.

Looking forward to getting back on a zesty.

🙂

goyawave
    Free Member

I’m interested in your feedback as I’m about to put a 160mm travel adjust fork on my 2012 Zesty.

So you want to use the angle adjust headset to slacken HA which will also drop the BB and then fit longer travel fork which will slacken HA again but raise the BB? So basically bringing the geometry back to where it was with longer travel fork and end up with a slacker HA?

Just trying to get my sore head round it.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m buying a 2011 Zesty, which has a 68degree HA to start with – so I mainly want to make that slacker.

Just happily works out the rest of the geometry should be relatively unaffected due to slight change in fork length.

goyawave
    Free Member

I see, mine is 67 deg plus I have 140mm forks for the time being.

I’ve not been much help but seems general feedback is positive toward slackening Zesty HA.

maxtorque

chrisdiesel
    Works components 1 degree, it’s been great no issues.

Ok, stupid question, how do i work out which type i need? I think a 2013 714 is zerostack top and bottom?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Slackening an older Zesty’ is closed to new replies.