Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Slackening a Heckler – Offset Bushings.
  • dantsw13

I’m getting a new Santa Cruz Heckler frame for this years Alps Trip, and am thinking of slackening it a little, with some Burgtec Ti Offset Bushings. Has anybody tried this on a Heckler, and will it work nicely with the 150Revs I have, or should I try and get some chunkier 160’s on the front? The rear shock is currently an RP23.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had the previous version (very similar) running with 160mm Bombers (long) and 150mm revs.

With the bombers it can be too slack for anything other than all down.

With the standard shock it’s about 67-68 up front. With the 160’s slacker and can wash out on flat turns if your not on it.

I ran a longer e2e shock from an Alpine with the 160’s which compensated perfectly. Did alps/mega and loads of UK stuff on it. Now I’m not using the bulk of the bombers the revs are on it with the original shock. Back to factory standard fine and perfect 🙂

By all means get the bushings as an experiment but not sure if it will work.

numbers don’t make a bike 🙂

greeble
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

get a cheap dhx coil and run that in the alps also

Wouldn’t bother did nearly 3 weeks with both and the RP23 coped well enough to not really bother with the DHX

dantsw13

Greeble, that link is only for 1 end of the shock, so double it with postage, its not much less for a steel/alu kit than the Ti set from Biketart.

Mike – thanks for that gen. I had a Heckler last year – 2006 old model with a DHX5 and Revs. Is the new shape any slacker at all? I ust felt it sat quite high, and a lower bb would make it better, as well as slackening it (1 deg for a heckler according to Burgtec).

This bike will only really be used as an Alps machine, so compromising a little uphill is worth it for me.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a 2009 Heckler that has Fox 36’s and a DHX 5 on it and was slack as can be, a perfect Alpine machine. I’ve gone the other way, back to revs and an rp23 as I want a more subtle trail bike for in the UK.

I did ride it for a few weeks with the Fox 36 & DHX setup and it was masses of fun and if that’s what you’re after I wholly recommend the setup

justme
    Free Member

havn’t santa cruz changed the geo on the latest hecklers by slackening the head angle and steepening the seat angle so if its new and you put 160 forks on it theres a good chance it will be ok G

dantsw13

Ah, Ive just reread my OP and seen my error. Im getting a 2010 frame, not a brand new one, so it wont have the new geo, but will be the same as CMJ above.

I liked my old M Heckler with 150 Revs, but it was a little too short. I just thought maybe my L this year with the bushings would tweak it perfectly for a mini DH Alps rig.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve had a Works slackerizing headset and offset bushings on mine, took the bushings off as I didnt like the slacker seat angle but I like the slacker front end with the headset, used with 150mm forks.

For the Alps I’d use both.

superfli
    Free Member

I used offset headset and revs last year on my heckler. Not bad, but not slack enough for my liking. I now have 160 travel vengeance forks which are far more beefy and slacken the bike further, but back on my hope headset. Much better imo. Fine for uk riding too, up and down. Its still not what oi would call slack by modern bikes. 68deg

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have an 09 so probably similar to yours.

chris36860
    Free Member

I run Talas 36 160 on the front with a RP23 rear shock. It’s perfect for the Alps, but as some of the other posts state, I find in need to drop it down to 140 mm on some of my local trails to stop the front from washing out.

chris36860
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also really depends on the A2C of the forks. I have 2 sets of 160mm bombers that are about 10mm different. and the old 150mm 36’s are different to the 150mm revs and thats before you sit on them 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Slackening a Heckler – Offset Bushings.’ is closed to new replies.