Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Slack curious
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Should I slack out my 2souls Quarterhorse by 2 degrees?

I’m curious. What could I expect?

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Sigh, what length forks are you running?

helpful1
    Free Member

expect no one to care!
    expect the steering to be ever so slightly slower.
    Don’t expect it to be any faster or better for riding steep descents.
    Don’t expect it to be noticeably stabler.

but above all expect little respect from others until you can successfully make your own decisions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hard day at the office bitches? You seem a bit tetchy.

qwerty
    Free Member

Shirley if your running a 100 or 120 fork then first thing to change would be to a 140 fork. If your already at 140 then it’ll drop BB down again and you’ll be at 65.5 which is defo slack.

edward2000
    Free Member

Don’t expect it to be any faster or better for riding steep descents.
    Don’t expect it to be noticeably stabler.

I slackened out my Iron Horse Sunday by 2 degrees and it transformed the bike. Much better for riding steep decents and was so much more stable at Speed!

z1ppy

Scienceofficer – Member

Hard day at the office bitches? You seem a bit tetchy.

quote of the week, though you throw it at most threads on here :mrgreen:

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

He speaks the truth though doesn’t he Z1ppy I mean comeon now.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

My 26 has 1.5 angleset + offset shock bushes + 160 27.5 fork (was 150, 26) and I really like it, in my mind the combo gives a slacker front end with BB at same height (rough measurements in garage) – as per ed2000 better downhill and more stable at speed. Forks are dual position so climbing at 130 is great too. Only slight annoyance is seat tube angle as am at limit of tilt on reverb to keep saddle flat.

So I like it, but wouldn’t expect anyone else to care – in fact am only replying as am spectacularly bored at work writing reports. If you update on your progress I won’t care until Friday when I have some paperwork time booked in and so will be looking for a distraction.

helpful1
    Free Member

IH Sunday’s weren’t 29er haaardtails Eddy 😉

Northwind

I’m yet to put an angleset in a bike and not think it ended up better tbh. Sometimes there’s a tradeoff, sometimes not much, sometimes none at all (my Hemlock was just simply better, my C456 wasn’t as nice climbing but miles better going downwards, frinstance) But it’s an interesting thing to try, regardless.

I prefer the works anglesets but I got a cane creek one for the bmc as it was dirt cheap on ebay, and more resellable… If I don’t like it, it’ll have cost me half an hour in the garage and probably about a fiver. And if I do like it, it’ll be a £30 investment to get more out of the much bigger spend on the bike. Amortise that over every ride I do on the thing and it’ll cost me essentially nothing)

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Do it. Most people have got nowhere near ‘too slack’ yet. Whenever I’ve slackened a bike out with an angleset offset shock bushings, it has made it faster, especially when you’re on the ragged edge.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thanks to those with something constructive to say. It’s a curiosity thing for me. I’m not the most dedicated follower of fashion, but the most talked about elements of envogue bike design do get through my filter of disinterest and its nice to here from those that have already tried.

Information is good.

roverpig

I reckon you’d definitely notice a 2 degree change in head angle. Whether you’d prefer it or not is obviously hard to say, but it should be a bit more stable at speed, a bit slower to turn and may give you more confidence when pointed down (as you are less likely to go OTB).

I look forward to hearing how it works out in practice.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have ‘slackened’ a number of bikes, some where just wrong (way too steep head angle & bb too high) from the start and the adjustments made them quite pleasant to ride.
    I have gone too far as well just to see, but it was a 26″ frame, with 27.5″ rear and 29er front with a head angle of 63 degrees from memory, which was great on steep fast trails, but riding along was capable but dull as was quite ‘numb’ in response and not an at all involving ride, it’s now 27.5 front & rear and pretty good. (2011 trek remedy 21.5″ frame)

2 degrees will make your’s feel good going down and quick, but shouldn’t be too bad for lowering bb (pedal strikes) or too ponderous streering on climbs & singletrack although you will have to adjust your riding style a bit on really tight stuff to muscle it round.

cp

I’m curious too and have got a slackset ready to go and some offset bushes on order.

In theory it should provide exactly what I’m after…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. One of the advantages of t’orse is I’m running the sliding drop outs in the middle position, I can bring them forwards another 12mm to off set the longer wheel base if needs be.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m seriously tempted to fit an angleset to my late 26″ Five. Already running a 160mm fork on it and offset bushings but reckon an angleset would make it even better than it already is.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Slack curious’ is closed to new replies.