Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slack chain when freewheeling/ back pedaling, cause?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Hi

having problems with a sagging chain when i free wheel/ backpedal. this is getting frustrating as its causing me to drop the chain on Dh's.
    Whats it likely to be?
    sticky freewheel ?
    does the 'b-tension' screw help?
    Worn out mech spring?

anything else?
    Cheers

soobalias
    Free Member

freewheel, bearings/busings/gunked up.

50p each way bet please.

pitduck
    Free Member

sticky freehub 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Last time I had this problem, it turned out to be caused by a snapped rear axle. 🙂

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

what hubs titusrider?

jim
    Free Member

Stiff jockey wheel? Often a problem with X9 mechs where the bearing seizes up.

glenp
    Free Member

Stiff or knackered jockey wheel.

titusrider
    Free Member

Chris kings 🙂 serviced probly 6 months ago but not 100% the shop didnt put thick bearing grease in it. Keeping an eye on the serviceing thread below and might have a go if people recon thats the likely cause

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Had it on my bulb. The outer bearing in the freehub had seized, so freehub was very sticky. You won't notice it when it's off the bike, or when pedalling. When on the bike the QR squeezes the axle nut onto the bearing, causing the stickiness…

joemarshall
    Free Member

I had this and it was a jockey wheel. Old toothbrush and lots of wd40 to clean it off fixed it.

Joe

GW
    Free Member

OMG!! what a bunch of mongs!

jockey wheels don't turn when you freewheel. 🙄 so it kinda has to be the freehub.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

but they do when you pedal backwards! 😀

mountainchub
    Free Member

It's definitely a sticky freehub 😈

glenp
    Free Member

I must admit I only read backpedal. Even so, when you "free wheel" you do move your feet to level your pedals etc. Agree that freewheel might be it though, specially with that cheapo Chris King stuff.

soobalias
    Free Member

what time is the disection, and what are the current odds?

titusrider
    Free Member

might manage it tonight, gf is out with work. depends if im allowed to use finishline green instead off ringdrive. ill update, although current odds give 1-1 on freehub and 1-999 on jockey wheels

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slack chain when freewheeling/ back pedaling, cause?’ is closed to new replies.