Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Skyline cycles at glyncorwg
  • peteandsoo
    Free Member

there this week and forgot my spare inner tube bought one in the shop £6 !!!! really

creamegg
    Free Member

You didn’t have to buy it. Tubeless ftw anyway. Not bought a tube in over 3 years

Nipper99
    Free Member

Your point being….

jam1e
    Free Member

Yeah, you should have converted your bike to tubeless in the car park there and then.

😆

roach

It’s nuts how some people will be pissed off over such a measly amount 🙄

Northwind

Perfectly reasonable tbh, unless it was some piece of rubbish

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The OP’s spelling and grammar is awful; he’s clearly a thicket; probably works on the bins; £6 is a lot of money to him.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yeah but did they change it for you at the same time I wonder.

even if not, £6 to get you on your way…

wonnyj
    Free Member

Very convenient location, slightly expensive prices

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

£6 to go and ride a bike because you forgot a spare ? Seems a bargain. Why need a spare, whats wrong with a puncture kit, although like many, I haven’t needed a tube for probably 3 years since my last irrepairable tubeless puncture, which is the only one in over 7 years. Got home, stitched it up and carried on tubeless again.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Shop at a trail centre charging full retail prices shocker. As above, it’s not excessive and I’d say raises the question of your own lack of preparation more than anything.

Regardless, good selection of stock and guys in the shop always been helpful when I’ve been there.

wrecker
    Free Member

Most places will charge you a fiver at least. I like skyline, they have some nice stuff in there and I found the staff helpful, knowledgeable and nice.

Denis99
    Free Member

+1 for the guys at Skyline Cycles.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Regardless, good selection of stock and guys in the shop always been helpful when I’ve been there.

Agreed!

Then again, how very dare they try and make a living? They should give tubes away instead. Like a charity. Hell, if I turned up without a bike, they should give me a bike. Free, obviously. 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

Shop at a trail centre charging full retail prices shocker. As above, it’s not excessive and I’d say raises the question of your own lack of preparation more than anything.

Oh come on we’ve all been caught out at some time. I had to buy some brake pads there once £22. It was full rrp on a branded pair the same with the Op’s tube. You can’t really moan but it does come as a shock when your used to online prices.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How much would you expect to pay for an inner tube?

Looking at wiggle they have tubes from 12 quid to about 2.20, and they are likely to discount more heavily than an LBS. So 6 quid seems quite reasonable really given that they probably stock a limited range and probably went mid-price.

roblane65
    Free Member

HEY ! lets not start slagging bin men, my best riding mate works on the bins and he’s no thickie. He is however one of the tightest people
    I’ve ever met ! 😕

orangeboy
    Free Member

Most branded tubes are going to be at least £6.00 rrp can’t see a problem

volatilemike
    Free Member

Guys at skyline are good guys, not sure what you’re problem is, because you had to pay retail price for a tube at a shop?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Roblane, you’ve just bitten at a troll poster. No need to read or worry about any more!

bigbloke
    Free Member

For comparison, last weekend we were riding from the other centre. One of our party had a total front brake failure halfway round Penhydd. Back at the cafe he pops into the shop, 20 mins later has a brand new XT front brake fitted for £90 there n then. Little bit more than Internet barely but fitted too, small price for an unspoilt weekend away.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

They also spent ages sorting my cranks out for me after a crash years ago. Never charged me a penny.

hatter

Can’t imagine they get many ‘big ticket’ purchases there so they have to make their money on stuff like tubes, gloves, helmets, brake pads, stuff that people forget or need mid way through a trip away. If they ca’nt ,make a decent margin on these they’re not going to stay there very long in your case no shop would have equalled no ride.

Also, Skyline are lovely guys in my experience.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Tbf to Skyline, this thread should be closed/deleted.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus one for skyline cycles – there when you need them. I’ve used the. Several times, always helpful and will get you back on the road again so you don’t miss a weekend of trails.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Don’t close the thread it’s positive except for the poster who ‘knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing’

bencooper
    Free Member

My tubes are £6…

mooman
    Free Member

Think of Skyline as the Little-Chef cafes on the motorway.

Desperate times call for desperate measures …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last time I was there a cracking little bike shop, nothing like a little chef. If there were not there due to trying to sell stuff at Internet beating prices/a loss you wouldn’t have been able to get a tube.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Stayed open late so I could drive up from Afan Lodge to buy a tool. Which they didn’t sell, so they loaned me the one from their workshop as long as I returned it following day.

Thread doesn’t seem to be going quite how the OP intended.

And yes interweb has distorted people’s perception of prices. We paid 15 quid for a pair of brake pads in MK Evans to complete a ride in Woburn when I’m used to paying a fiver a pair online. Doubt either Evans or Skyline guys drive Ferraris.

alansd1980

couple of us went down for a weekend last year, I forgot my helmet and was able to get one, My mate forgot his shoes, picked up a pair. Without them being there it would have been a drive to the closest shop and most of the morning gone.

£6 is what tubes cost anytime I have bought them.

mrvear
    Free Member

£6 is the rrp on most tubes, get over it. There are more expensive tubes out there too.

rp16v
    Free Member

Pretty standard IMO our tubes range from £5-£9
    Sounds like poor prep but I’d have had to get one somewhere anyway.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Never been to skyline but £6 sounds like a typical price for a shop inner tube. People need to lower their expectations for discounts and be happy they didn’t wait at home for yodel to not turn up.

spooky_b329

Good feedback here too… Yesterday two of our group suffered multiple punctures so bought tubeless conversion kits from Glencorryg. They encouraged him to return tomorrow if he had any trouble setting it up.

We also stopped off at Muddybumbikes, Cardiff, just a few minutes off the M4 and they were very helpful. Convenient for last minute spares on the way to the Welsh trails 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Tbf to Skyline, this thread should be closed/deleted.

Err yeah, I’m sure those guys will be distraught if they get wind of a thread with so many people saying positive things about them.. 🙄

eshershore
    Free Member

pretty much all the ‘branded’ inner tubes (made by cheng shing or kenda for ‘brands’) are now RRP £5.99

we have some Conti tubes for aero wheels, those are RRP £11.99

so it seems pretty fair price that Skyline charged £6 for a regular tube

the shop I work at charges £10 for a puncture repair, including an inner tube.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve paid £9 before!

And yep agree skyline cycles are great, bought a few bits and bobs from them over the years. They’ve lent me the tools for free on a couple of occasions to fix mechanicals when their workshop was full and it would have been 3 or 4 hours till I was back on the trail. Can’t say fairer than that.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The guys in that shop have always given great service when I’ve been in. Which I think is amazing given the number of tools/morons that must use the shop.

Hats off to them.

ojom
    Free Member

Devils huh. What with £1.20 of that being vat and everything.

It’s almost like a pint in London is still £2.99 like tubes used to be.

Broken Britain. Why not take to the streets?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Skyline cycles at glyncorwg’ is closed to new replies.