Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Skyline
  • hts81
    Free Member

Hi! I am riding the Skyline for my stag do on saturday 9th July – hopefully see some singletrackers there?

MaD
    Free Member

Not wishing to put a dampner on things but most of Skyline is closed or otherwise diverted. It will turn into a fire road fest unfortunately. The only trail open in its entirity at the Afan / GC complex currently is The Wall.

HarYuken
    Free Member

I did Skyline on Sunday (after the Wall). Yes – there is quite a big diversion and a lot of fire road but the diversion was quite fun and challenging if you have a low boredom threshold and like being out in the sticks (some mud and rocky doubletrack) but it was quite a slog. The final descent is quite good though – very long and plenty of rocks on singletrack.

I would just do Whites & The Wall personally if you want the most fun out of Afan but if you want more of a physical challenge, then go for Skyline.

If it is a Stag, then you may all lose the will to live on Skyline if hungover 😆

Paceman
    Free Member

Any news on Pennhyd re-opening??

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m going next friday and intend to W2 in the morning and the a couple of runs down the final descent of the skyline in the afternoon.

hughjardon
    Free Member

What is the actual extent of the skyline detour’s?

Few of us are going tomorrow and were planning on doing skyline!

Twodogs

there is a full 42km of Skyline available, tho’ one bit, the homeward route goes along the outward route (in reverse, obviously). There is less singletrack than there used to be, but if you want a long ride that feels a bit more “out there”, it’s OK

ciderman
    Free Member

Most of Skyline is just fire road at the top, just smash in the W2, 42km with some cracking climbs. But make sure your start point is at glyncorrwg ponds.

hts81
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas and pointers – we will be starting at the bike shop, so will make a final decision then, its good to go forewarned though, a couple of the riders going are more “DH” orientated and may not enjoy too much fire road……

Also – I pick up my new Cube AMS 125 today – SWEET

hugor
    Free Member

I did skyline about a month ago and hated it.
    As others have said there’s heaps of fireroad.
    Detours at the end remove the last 3 sections of singletrack.
    The last descen is still there but you can do that from the W2.
    Most of the fireroad goes through felled forest so its pretty shit to look at.

SOAP
    Free Member

I wanted to ride the Skyline before it closed. But hardly seems worth it now 🙁
    So looks like it’s the W2 for today.

Twin
    Free Member

W2 is much more entertaining than the Skyline. Its about 80% singletrack, the only fire road being part of the Wall climb and the link between Whites and the Wall on the traverse above the valley.
    Skyline has a huge amount of fire road, its good if you want to get some miles in but nowhere near as much fun as W2. Best to start from Glyncorrwg.

If you’re feeling particularly fit, you could do the same as campfreddie and ride W2 in the morning and then do Whites climb, take the shortcut from Dastardly and Muttley to Perigrine Ridge on the skyline and ride the final Skyline descent (its marked to the right of the trail with a yellow marker at a sort of ‘crossroads’).

Nearly all W2 is open on weekends with some restrictions on weekdays due to logging.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The closed bits at Skyline are not as closed as they appear to be – only one or possibly two sections are properly not doable. Bits like Excalabur etc are cracking but if you prefer the crowds then go for W2.

Keva
    Free Member

copied from Skyline Cycles website….

Skyline (open diversion between Handy Andy and Peregrine Ridge)

Grade: Red trail (Difficult)
    Distance: 46km
    Climb: 2000m
    Time: 4 – 7 hours

http://skylinecycles.tumblr.com/trails

mbWales
    http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Afan_Forest_Park/Skyline/Skyline.aspx

Kev

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Do W2 you can then loop around the Wall a couple of times for 60km, three loops is 70km. Just do W2 and instead of going back along the short cut turn left and start the wall descent again. Most bang for your ascent $ Skyline is off my radar just not enough trail open and too many diversions. 60km option takes 4 hours, 3 loop 70km takes 5 :15.

flow
    Free Member

Skyline is crap

mrmo
    Free Member

Skyline is crap

Wouldn’t say it is crap, really depends on what you want, i can’t stand w2 just does nothing for me, whereas Skyline lets you get away from it all.

No skyline means i won’t be bothering with Afan anymore.

flow
    Free Member

Why can’t you stand W2? Far more exciting than Skyline!

mrmo
    Free Member

because w2 offers none of the things that motivate me to ride. To each there own, i ride to get away from it not to ride board walks and in a crowd. i found it too busy too many numpties just log jamming the climbs by having picnics, etc. Not saying W2 is a bad trail just not one that interests me, would rather go to Cwm Carn save time and fuel money.

hugor
    Free Member

If you want to get away from it then why do skyline.
    The views are shit.
    I like rides like that too but I’d rather do an epic in the Beacons like Gap road, Black mountains etc.
    If I go to a trail centre I want entertainment.

allthepies
    Free Member

If you want to “get away from it” then going to a trail centre seems odd IMO 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

i actually find the skyline less busy than the gap route…

There are times when i can’t be bothered thinking which is when routes like the skyline come in, no thought needed, and from experience more interesting than the gap, which if i am honest was boring and busy. much more entertaining routes to be found in that part of wales.

If you want to “get away from it” then going to a trail centre seems odd IMO

It is a bit odd but as soon as you have done the first climb and got past the walkers on the first climb you tend to see no one for a couple of hours.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Why the bloody hell is it being closed down in the first place anyway????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

hugor
    Free Member

To build another wind farm.
    There are so many bald hills nearby I don’t know why they’ve chosen a forest to build one in though.

SOAP
    Free Member

Just got back from Afan. There is no planing permission for the wind farm turbines YET ,and skyline cycles think it will be open for a least another year or 2 and there is a deal to build a new trail if planning is given. 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

MBUK did an article on Skyline last month stating it would be closed in the next few months.
    I’ve read that there is a plan for a new trail but who knows how long that will take to complete.
    Penhydd has been closed for ages.

Nipper99
    Free Member

hugor. you cycled around skyline with your eyes closed then. some cracking views over the Beacons and Fforest Fawr.

Nipper99
    Free Member

mrmo. you based in s.wales?

hugor
    Free Member

I saw those views. There are much worse things to look at for 5 minutes.
    But the long stretches of road through tree stumps and boggy mud pits churned up by dirt bikes was what did my head in.
    Each to their own but I would suggest that the reason you don’t see anybody on it is because it is shit.
    Otherwise it would be as popular as the Gap route particularly being on the doorstep of Cardiff.

Nipper99
    Free Member

as you say hugor, each to their own but having done the gap a few times and skyline a few times the gap is a dull ride albeit nice views. i hardly ever see anyone out at in say the doethie valley so by your measure that must be particularly pants. the gap is just overhyped for those that cant be arsed to look around. there are better routes around ystradfellte(on the doorstep of cardiff)where you hardly see a sole, pants also no doubt.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Skyline’ is closed to new replies.