Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Skye dog a special friend
  • kharim
    Free Member

I sadly lost my long-time biking partner, beautiful Skye RIP my special friend. A totally reliable friend always up for a bike ride no matter what the weather and has been everywhere I go on my bike. We had so many special times in those amazing places, but sadly not enough she was only 4 years old when she died suddenly this morning. I’m now lacking the desire to go biking (don’t ever recall that happening in 25+ years of biking) and I really don’t think that biking will ever be the same again. Here’s to the great memories of Skye.

racefaceec90

man i’m sorry to hear that 🙁
    think about the good times you had with skye.
    i’m sure she had a wonderful life with you.

jamj1974

Very sorry to hear that chap. Animals can be fantastic companions and losing them is terrible.

Take care,

J

mrlebowski
    Free Member

4 yrs old?

Wow thats young.

Tough break.

Remember the good times.

GolfChick
    Free Member

so sorry to hear about this, just reminds everybody to really appreciate their four legged friends. They give endless love and never demand anything in return. I lost my first dog at 6 and it took me a year til i forgave myself enough to think about getting another dog.

cupra
    Free Member

Man i feel for you. I lost one of mine suddenly in september. I tell myself that he didn’t suffer because he went from well to gone in less than an hour. 4 is young. I hope this isn’t insensitive but do you have any pics you can post? It does get better.

Innes
    Free Member

It is really hard when you loose a dog. I’m sure lots of folk on here will know exactly how you feel. We have two dogs just now and I still really miss our last dog.

My 12 year old Son’s Guinea Pig died on Monday, it was his own pet and did everything for him, he is really upset about it.

It is harder when they die before their time.

Time for a puppy, it is the best way.

Innes

kharim
    Free Member
    sweepy
    Free Member

Try again with the pic mate.
    Sorry to hear about your hound, as a dog person you will get another when the time is right

EDIT, my mistake with the pic, its working fine, and a fine looking dog too

Keef
    Free Member

🙁

solarpowered
    Free Member

May i ask what happened? Four is very young. I’m so, so sorry…. It never gets easier but I promise you will get to a time in your life when it will be ok to get another pup – and the fun bit is that they are all so different in their own, wonderful ways!!!!
    Thoughts are with you op, hugs x

spacemonkey

Sorry to hear that mate. Like others have said, 4 yrs (and by the sounds of it v healthy) is an unusual way to go. Either way, cherish your memories and remember Skye is with you always.

Wiksey
    Free Member

Really feel for you. It pains me to even think of losing my current dog and I know that where you are at the moment is a very tough place indeed. Here’s me raising a glass to Skye.

kharim
    Free Member

It’s not even 24 hours ago that I just started playing Frisbee with sky when she ran back with the Frisbee in her mouth to collapsed right in front of me. At first I thought she was having a fit, but soon realised that she had a massive stroke. I can’t get those images out of my head. When I think about a great adventure we had in the Scottish Highlands the day before and how I realised that I forgot my camera when I was parking my car. I never thought that would have been our last adventure with her. I think that I will never take anything for granted ever again. Every small moment of life is precious. I think that Sky would want me to ride again and soon. The only times that I wasn’t riding with her is when I was trying to meet up with the local bike club, which would be ok when they turned up, but more often than not they wouldn’t bother and I would have to bike alone. It’s moments like these that I felt gutted that Skye wasn’t with me and how I let her down to go biking with other people just to be let down by them not turning up. I know that I will never be that lucky again to have somebody to go biking with at a movements notice no matter what the weather, totally dependable.

willard

Dammit, I’m really sorry to hear that. I know what loosing a friend like that feels like and it hurts a lot.

Don’t blame yourself for anything though. Dogs love unconditionally and she would never have held any missed time against you.

kharim
    Free Member

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of support. I was feeling lost, thinking that nobody else would understand. It is thanks to Singletrack forum that I’m able to communicate with such kind hearted people. Thank you for making me feel a bit better and that it would appear that some people genuinely regard their dogs as their best friends. My Skye certainly was. She was always there for me, listened to every word I would say even when I was speaking to other people and get excited over things that she shouldn’t like if I said ‘rice’ in a sentence, she would have heard the ‘r’ and thought of her two favourite things to chase rabbits or rats. I think that I would have been her most favourite thing to chase when I’m on my bike, but the thing is she would always leave me well behind, be it a technical rocky descent like Golspie or single track on Fyrish. She would even come back for me to check if I was ok and the times I wasn’t ok like a crash she would cry for me and lick me all over my face until I got up. I have lost my companion and with it my desire to go biking. I know that it may take time as she died only yesterday, but I know that when I go biking I will have lost something irreplaceable. I just can’t think what it would be like to go biking alone and I certainly can’t see me making use of my exposure lights and go biking again in the dark. To me that just feels too lonely. That comes from a man who has climbed mountains in the dark in the coldest of winters (ice axe crampons type stuff) and set up a bivi for the night. I just can’t face being alone in the dark wilderness anymore, especially without in the without my best friend Skye.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thoughts with you buddy. Not a dog person myself, but I love my cat. (Don’t take him riding tho! That might be a wiggly route!).

When you’re ready, I think Skye wants you to ride.

the_lecht_rocks

Kharim, my respectful thoughts …

Innes
    Free Member

Any time you fancy some company Kharim, come through to Nairn on Thursday and come out with our small group.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve never had a dog (I delivered newspapers as a yoof, so I really don’t care for them at all!) but have always had cats. And pets do really become a friend or part of the family, and losing one is devastating. I have always got another cat to replace the one that died the next day. The new one is never the same as the old one, but it has always helped to keep me occupied somewhat and dwell less on the lost one. And it gets a pet out of a shelter and into a home. That may not be right for you, but I found that this is the right thing for me.

julesf7
    Free Member

Kharim, I just wanted to say how sorry I was to read this post, I now have some dust in my eye. It might be that I am out in Dubai and missing my springer spaniel pup terribly myself. I hope that, in time, you will feel ready to extend the feeding bowl of friendship to another dog, you sound like the ideal companion for one.

kharim
    Free Member

I wanted to say that I’ve managed to get out on my bike to Golspie- thanks to Kyle for a bit of company. I was fighting back the tears, but I realise that I made a big step forward. Watching what few films I have of Skye helped. There should have been so many more if it wasn’t for that rubbish camera Drift HD Ghost- it managed to produce some of the poorest quality I have ever seen; forget filming in a semi-dense woodland the cameras light sensitivity is very poor despite making appropriate adjustments. Regrettably that led me to deleting lots of films and delaying shooting waiting for better light conditions for filming in the woodland spring/summer (now). I wanted to make a film of Skye and the amazing riding/scenery in Ross-Shire, a bit like a film I seen recently in Eden Court theatre about a dog called Lilly. The film was to help me overcome my homesickness when I eventually move to Germany in a couple of months. Being with Skye felt like everywhere was home. Now I dread moving and I’m not sure I will cope, but thanks to you all I’m coping for the moment.

sherry
    Free Member

It sounds like you gave her a great life and that’s what matters. Take care dude.

toss
    Free Member

Truly GUTTED for you mate. You gave her a cracking 4 years so remember the good times & she will always be with you….

Mans best friend eh? How very, very true. God I feel quite choked up now….

Take care. T

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

🙁 Run free Skye

pitduck
    Free Member

😥

lock
    Free Member

Bro go rescue a dog ,there are thousands just sitting there waiting for a new caring owner,it will help ou put smiles back on your face ,get u out riding so u can teach the new dog trail rules ,go for an older dog so u dont have to wait

U gave your dog 4 great years but now you can help another dog who has a shitty life so far

snowpaul
    Free Member

hi mate,

totally feel for you – I lost a springer a few years ago – killed me. I got 2 new ones a few years later – wished I had got them sooner.

Dogs are superb, especially ones that you do stuff with. Your dog sounds like she had an epic life and you will be spared the heartache of seeing them grow old and frail like my springer did. Remember the good times and ride in memory of her.

Take care and get another dog when you are ready.

Paul

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Skye dog a special friend’ is closed to new replies.