Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Sky vs Virgin Media
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Which is better and why? Been with sky for years but Virgin are sending us some pretty tempting offers.

GrahamS

Freeview! 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

Sky seems better to me (but I have Sky and have only experienced VM at others houses so may not have had enough time using it to have a valid opinion, not that that’s a requirement on STW :p ). More channels and better controls IME, I guess it might depend on what bits you subscribe to though. VM’s on-demand stuff might be better but I rarely use Sky’s anyhow.

dabble
    Free Member

I had sky up until November 2012, then I swapped to virgin. Faster broadband, tivo, catch up and on demand through your box, youtube through the box. i got the medium tv package so i could have the extreme channel and a couple of documentay (hee hee, shamon!) channels. costs me the same, i get more and faster stuff, only problem is them ringing me up every 3 months trying to get me to take a mobile phone contract out with them.

edit- but i will be going to freeview when my tv contract runs out, more brass for bike bits then!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Anyone and anything but Murdock/Sky after what they did post Hillsborough
    They will never get a penny of money*.
    Use virgin and the service is excellent – you get the speeds they say and I think in 4 years I have one outage and that was a cut cable due to roadwork error.
    Decent catch up on the basic package and cartoons for the kids

*Not a goad or troll to be clear I do mean it.

rewski
    Free Member

Neither are getting a penny of my money

pondo

If you’re not on a lot of cash, freeview would do the job, wouldn’t it?

somouk
    Free Member

If you can get Virgin then I would go that way, they have greater scope for improving tech and seem to be upgrading everyones broadband speeds for fun to annoy BT/Sky.

johndoh
    Free Member

The user interface is far better on Sky, but the functionality is superior on a Virgin TiVo box.

And the deals are far better, the broadband is normally better, the hub is vastly superior.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

sky = arseholes

virgin = arseholes.

Next question.

loddrik
    Free Member

If you’re not on a lot of cash, freeview would do the job, wouldn’t it?

🙄

sbob
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

The user interface is far better on Sky

You mean the remote?

bokonon
    Free Member

Our virgin phone/TV/broadband deal is cheaper than our previous BT phone/broadband deal, and we no longer need to use free view, which has poor coverage in our area.

pondo

🙄

7 to 10k, wasn’t it? Half to a third of what an NQT earns, you said? Just think – if you weren’t spunking money on subscription TV, maybe you could take your kids on holiday without having to take them out of school. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty happy in general with Virgin – 8 years with them and they’ve been reliable plus the broad band is as fast as it’s supposed to be.

And Virgin are clearly desperate to retain customers so I get a load of services for free after I called to cancel (telling them I’d move to Sky_.

loddrik
    Free Member

@ pondo. I’m going to ‘spunk’ the cash AND take the kids on holiday. I’d worry more about your own…

sbob
    Free Member

@ pondo. I’m going to ‘spunk’ the cash AND take the kids on holiday. I’d worry more about your own…

Pretty sure he just threatened your kids pondo,
    FIGHT!!!

pondo

I think my work here is done. 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

I dunno, you should have heard what he also said about your mum…

sandwicheater

And he said your Gran was a slag, he did, honest!

FIGHT!!!

sbob
    Free Member

To be fair, I’ve met his Gran and she is, err, quite liberal.

jon1973
    Free Member

Classic – Virgin Media to Pondo’s gran is a hoe is 21 posts. This is why I love STW 🙂

Kryton57

If you do some proper research, sky’s fibre broadband is IN GENERAL cheaper and more consistent than any of the others if you are able to compare like for like, which isn’t always easy with all the package selections all the company’s ask you to pick from.

IMO the on screen menu from sky is the easiest to use, the newest box is on par with Virgins and the remote is clearer to understand.

sbob
    Free Member

IMO the on screen menu from sky is the easiest to use, the newest box is on par with Virgins and the remote is clearer to understand.

Interesting, as I am used to neither having no TV, but tend to swear less at Virgin’s on screen menu when I do find myself in front of a TV.

johndoh
    Free Member

You mean the remote?

No, the screens you get when trying to find a programme you’ve recored, click to record, delete a recording etc etc etc.

Might be because I had grown so used to the Sky set-up having had Sky for years but still struggling with Virgin after 4 months.

2tyred

Just about to find out, the Virgin man (not Branson, well don’t think it was him) was round getting it all set up earlier today.

Was BT for phone, O2 for broadband and freeview for telly – cost of BT line seems excessive for what it is, O2 (whose service was consistently great) sold the broadband to Sky and I want as little of my money as possible to go to Murdoch so knew I needed to change.

Virgin were relentless in sending offers by mail, just waited til one came with Tivo, no install charge etc and went for that. Paid line rental up front for the year, even when the discount period ends it’ll be loads cheaper than what we had yesterday.

And now I’ve got fibre broadband and Eurosport, just in time for the Spring classics!

vikingboy
    Free Member

everything about virgin is better except the user interface of the box – its just awkward to use. Not impossible to fathom but not as slick as Skys offering.

loddrik
    Free Member

OK, irrelevant now anyway. The wife just came home and her response to my suggestion was ‘WE ARE NOT LEAVING SKY!!!’.

So that’s that then.

allthepies
    Free Member

I though all things Murdock were boycotted in Liverpool 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whenever Ive looked in to it Virgin comes in more expensive than Sky and BT, plus they would have to run a cable from the front of our house to the back through the house.. That’s not going to happen!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Sky vs Virgin Media’ is closed to new replies.