Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Sky TV – worth it?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Kimbers, which model is that?

kimbers

its a Sony RDR-HXD990

which now ive checked only has HD upscaling, rather no than full HD

and i love it!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've got a PVR but doesn't have Freeview built in so recording anything is a mare.

We've got freeview, so the only things I might be interested in is some of the cycling on Eurosport / other channels and Sky 1.

Wondering if I just get a decent PVR and stick with Freeview as it'd probably cost £300 for the PVR but that is 10 months subscription with Sky and I can carry on using it after.

markenduro
    Free Member

I really don't like the idea of giving money to the murdoch empire.
    I bought a humax foxsat HDR, needs a twin LNB dish to enable recording one channel whilst watching another but worth the effort and a simple job to do DIY if you already have a single LNB dish. Great for watching telly as you can fast forward through ads etc,has full HD capability, HD upscaling and can connect to your home network to watch BBC Iplayer on a proper telly. The only real downside is that the remote will not work at anything more than a 30 degree angle to the box without the front flap down. They are expensive as a one off cost (£230) but better than a minimum of £20 per month for sky to watch repeats.

br
    Free Member

£1 a day and I can watch all the motorbike racing I want, everything else is a plus.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

bit pricey if you get sports and or movies. Sky + is great if you have young kids who always kick off at the least appropriate time or if you keep needing to go for a wee.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

after reading and posting on here…

just called sky and got rid of sky sports and they knocked £3 off my unlimited broadband. £21 a month better off.

he tried to temp me to drop sports an dget discovery channel, but again after 3 week you have watched it all and its repeated….

i'd like to add when i said PVR's are sh*te, i was talking about the £70 one i bought my mum from argos… it was a nightmare + coupled with the fact her signal was shite!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We've just got a new telly with Freeview & Freesat built in but we want a device that'll do what a Sky+ box will do (ish) The Sky's going. Sick to death of paying £35 a month to flick through repeats.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Right – looks like I'm going to be getting a new PVR at this rate.

MartynS

no…

get a humax freeview/freesat pvr.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

This looks good – especially the development of I-player functionality… 🙂

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10095&cat=stb#

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've got the Humax Foxsat HDR box and it works well, though ideally you need two satellite feeds as sometimes it gets confused and doesn't foce a channel change to record something with only one feed.

HD Quality is great and its got all the usual live TV pause, rewind stuff. I often pause a program on Channel4, then start watching it twenty minutes later to fastforward through the ads!

iPlayer is also good, though the initial menus can be a little slow. Might be the connection speed though?

I've replaced it with a Media PC now which does all of the above as well as freeview, bluray, music library, downloaded videos, 4od etc.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I aint got one of those dish things unfortunately and where I live is too posh to allow them

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

eh? wouldn't you need one to get Sky anyway?

docrobster
    Free Member

Where I live we can't get freeview or cable so I got sky a couple of yrs ago and went for the sky+ box. Just cancelled the subscription as we weren't watching any of the premium channels. I think we'll miss the sky+ functionality (you can't watch stuff you've got on the sky+ box without an active subscription) but there is always iplayer, and in 6 months I will have saved the cost of a humax freesat PVR anyway.
    Also got a Humax freesat box on another telly which we actually watch much more.
    We did have the sky sports subscription and it really grates that I was basically subsidising premiership footballers wages….

Bushwacked
    Free Member

If I got Sky then I'd get a dish but the neighbours would complain we were bringing the area down.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Sky TV – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.