Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Sky TV – new Q stuff
  • cnud
    Free Member

I recently bagged myself a decent discount off my monthly TV subscription but now appear to be back on their marketing radar. They are offering £99 off the new Q gear. So, has anyone tried this new system? Is it worth being an early adopter?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Looked into it. Expensive and seems to be an attempt at Smart TV but walled into Sky with no useful apps. Okay has a fancy new EPG and does offline viewing on tablets (not Windows). It’s just other than looking nice it wasn’t offering me anything useful.

I’m looking at ditching Sky anyway as I don’t really watch the live TV content and little on the pay channels. Probably go with Freesat combined with my Amazon Prime sub, and my NAS full of downloaded stuff playing via the Plex app, as my TV is a Smart TV anyway. Though I might get Amazon Fire TV as it’s probably more reliable and has a better selection of apps.

martinhutch

It’s just an update of their clunky Sky Go stuff badged as some massive advance in technology. A good way of milking customers who feel they need to have the latest thing but can’t see past Sky as a provider.

cnud
    Free Member

Thought as much, especially as there seem to be more and more web based ways to view nowadays. Xbmc/kodi Was ok for myself but too much faff for the missus and kids so that’s where sky’s gui wins. Netflix and Amazon good for them but limited for myself. Having had my router die for a couple of days recently not sure I want to go all in on the online viewing anyway.

martinhutch

Wow, just looked at what it costs. Minimum £44 a month for the basic no sports or movies package, plus a hundred quid setup fee. And that only allows you to use one tablet in addition to the telly. £35 a month extra for movies or sports…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Isn’t it just their version of a DLNA server and some ftp to transfer the files between devices?
    Massively expensive and actually counter-productive in our house as I’m trying to make it more difficult for the kids to watch TV in their room, not easier!

martinhutch

I’m not even sure it makes remote viewing/multiroom any easier than the current set-up. Sky Go Extra costs a few quid a month and allows streaming/downloading on four devices rather than one.

The only real difference is that it means you can watch your recorded stuff ‘offline’ and pause and pick-up live tv on another device.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Sky TV – new Q stuff’ is closed to new replies.