Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sky TV – may have just shot myself in the foot!
  • 40mpg

Just had ANOTHER letter from SKY saying they are putting prices up. Seems like only 5 mins since the last. We seem to be using it less an d less anyway, and there’s no way I’m paying over £90 a month to sit on the sofa and be bored. Even the kids have gone off it and sorted out their own Netflix.

So I phoned them up in protest and dropped everything down to the basic package – no more multiroom, movies, sports, nada.

Probably should have thought about this beforehand, but the 2 uses it did have:
    Eurosport – damn how am I going to watch all the cycling now? Still have Bike TV which seems to be showing e few of the early minor classics
    2nd TV/box – will I still get freeview channels? I guess the record function will disappear but its mostly full of the wifes Neighbours so no great loss

Bazz

I think you still get Eurosport with the basic package, I don’t have any of the Sky or BT sports channels and still get Eurosport. With the second box you will get some of the Freeview channels but not all of them, I believe you can get a card for it for a one off payment that will give the full range of Freeview channels.

z1ppy

Phone them back & tell them you made a mistake & just want to cancel their overpriced crappy service.. & hope they call back?

GregMay
    Free Member

You can pay £5 a month for Eurosport online.

13thfloormonk

I did the same, we pay £20/month basically so my g/f can watch her two favourite completely interchangeable American ‘Beautiful people being smart and sassy’ shows. Don’t know what package Eurosport was on but we don’t have it now 🙁

If I could actually understand the NowTV offering I would get that instead, what channels do you actually get with their ‘Entertainment’ pass? Any way to watch the news?

Matt24k
    Free Member

Eurosport is part of the standard package but Eurosport HD is part of the Family pack along with C4HD etc.

Drac

You’ll get an email or letter in a week or two offering you a good offer. Seriously though £90?

retro83
    Free Member

Try logging into your account on MySKY, sometimes they will give you offers on there after making these calls to try and tempt you back (even ones they didn’t mention on the phone).

13thfloormonk

Eurosport is part of the standard package but Eurosport HD

Really? I get neither 🙁

40mpg

I did ask the Sky guy about eurosport, he said it is included in the variety pack which is an extra tenner

jamesy01
    Free Member

Just phoned them to cancel the movie package…a saving of £17.50/month of £210.00 a year.

The counter offer:-

Movies for £9.98/month for 8 months = £60.16 saving
    Line rental £7.15/month for 12 months = £123.00 saving
    Broadband free for 12 months = £90.00 saving
    HD £6.28 for 6 months = £30.00 saving

A total saving of £303.16…not bad for a 10 minute phone call.

Drac

You get better if you’d said that’s no good go ahead and cancel, they get back in touch with a ‘special’ deal. I’ve only just started paying again after 3 months and it’s half price for another 9 months.

AlexSimon

When I cancelled (actually wanted to cancel – not just negotiate as I had done a few times previously), they kept calling with offers.
    Eventually, they offered it all for free for 12months on an 18month contract!

I still cancelled – I hated the way they charged for recording – it’s all shit.

Eurosport Player seems to work great and I only need that for 4 months of the year.

martinhutch

If I could actually understand the NowTV offering I would get that instead, what channels do you actually get with their ‘Entertainment’ pass? Any way to watch the news?

Now TV is basically a big catch-up service but includes a fair few of the sky type channels – Sky 1/Atlantic/Nat Geo etc plus a lot of the decent box set stuff. You can watch live but it’s a bit of a faff with no decent listings that I can see. You can also download the Red Bull app which in theory gives you UCI events to watch.

There’s an offer on Amazon for three months entertainment plus box for 14 quid, so might be worth just trying it out.

Freesat channels can be got via the Sky box after you cancel, which would include BBC channels, news etc, I think Sky News as well. You might need a new viewing card for 20 quid or so.

I’m about to go down this road – 40 quid to Sky a month for bugger all, basically.

13thfloormonk

Hmm, very interesting, thanks Martinhutch!

In truth we’re only paying £20 for the actual TV, £7.50 for the broadband and £17.40 for the line rental. But it’s still £20 for 100 channels of rubbish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sky TV – may have just shot myself in the foot!’ is closed to new replies.