• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sky TV in another room but not multi room
  • darrimc30
    Free Member

Hi,
    Just bought a new tv for back room, looking to take a cable from my front room where my sky box is to the tv, there is no route through the house so must be external, probably 30 metres in total.
    Any suggestions for cable types, suppliers and which connection to use on my Sky HD box, don’t really want to go multi room as Sky is getting a total rip off.
    All advice is appreciated

petrieboy

At that distance you are looking at “HDMI over cat5” but its not cheap. What’s stopping you running the cable internally?

ton

1 x 2 way slx bypass amp £7.99
    1 x 100m sat cable £8.99
    1 x box clips £1
    3 x f connector f.o.c
    1 x coax connector f.o.c

I can sell you all the above
    you will only be able the watch the same sky channel on both tv’s

paladin

You need to connect to the av2 connection on the sky box. You’ll need to switch this socket on, Google sky av2.

This will give you the same sky channel in both rooms, and if you have a digi aerial connected to the box also, the second TV will also have all terrestrial digi channels. Get a magic eye for changing sky channels on second TV.

ton

forgot the eye
    1 x magic eye £2.99

darrimc30
    Free Member

Can’t run cable through house as all the floors are amtico so need to go externally.
    Ton, will this then plug straight into telly and as paladin says just use a magic eye?

ton

yes

ask1974
    Free Member

1 x 2 way slx bypass amp £7.99
    1 x 100m sat cable £8.99
    1 x box clips £1
    3 x f connector f.o.c
    1 x coax connector f.o.c

I can sell you all the above
    you will only be able the watch the same sky channel on both tv’s

Errrm, huge elephant in the room…(no offence Ton just pointing out the important bit)

This is a cheap and simple solution but will not provide HD video, in fact this is the most basic video connection from a Sky box so the picture doesn’t get much worse. If you’ve bought a nice HDTV picture will be a disappointment.

As pertieboy notes if you want HDTV you need to use an HDMI over CAT5 solution and split the output using a 1×2 HDMI splitter, this solution will also allow remote control of the Sky box from your new room. Look up HDBaseT extenders from WyreStorm and other brands, the ‘Lite’ versions are good for 70m. £300-£400 but this is the best solution.Compared to buying a second Sky box and multi-room subscription it’s about the same. Of course still only one channel as Ton notes, this is the same solution just HD.

ton

bloke does not say he bought a new hd telly
    bloke does not say he wants hd to a second telly
    bloke says he wants a cable to a second tell

hence my cheap but effective solution.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As pertieboy notes if you want HDTV you need to use an HDMI over CAT5 solution and split the output using a 1×2 HDMI splitter, this solution will also allow remote control of the Sky box from your new room. Look up HDBaseT extenders from WyreStorm and other brands, the ‘Lite’ versions are good for 70m. £300-£400 but this is the best solution.Compared to buying a second Sky box and multi-room subscription it’s about the same. Of course still only one channel as Ton notes, this is the same solution just HD.

So that’s over 3 years of a sky multi room subscription at £10 a month!

ask1974
    Free Member

bloke does not say he bought a new hd telly
    bloke does not say he wants hd to a second telly
    bloke says he wants a cable to a second tell

hence my cheap but effective solution.

That’s why I said ‘no offence intended’ 😉 your solution is fine you just didn’t note this bit so I did. Anyway where exactly do you buy a TV today that isn’t HD? OK second hand but…

So that’s over 3 years of a sky multi room subscription at £10 a month!

Not quite, you need to purchase a second Sky HD box so dock at least a year – and IIRC Sky HD multi-room is more that a tenner but could be wrong. OP did say he didn’t want Sky multi-room.

Not getting into an argument here fellas just making sure the OP has all the facts.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Has anybody had a decent result with wireless transmitters for sending sky to another room? If so which ones do you use? And would they interfere with a baby monitor?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Transmitters are shite – cable and magic eye is the easier and will work regardless.
    Otherwise every phone, microwave, Bluetooth, wifi, etc will have you swearing at the tv.
    If you have HD already they will give you multi for £5 and if you tell them you’re “off” you can get HD for £5 too 😉

br
    Free Member

We had a video-sender in the last house, along with the magic-eye. Worked fine for an upstairs portable, not sure about a big screen though.

You do also need 2 Sky controllers.

njee20
    Free Member

Has anybody had a decent result with wireless transmitters for sending sky to another room? If so which ones do you use?

We had a Maplin one – worked well in a couple of houses, didn’t work so well in our current one. Sell it for £10 if you want to try?

I used the AV2 socket and the wall aerial sockets – went up in the loft and joined the two wires from the sockets (ie bypassed the TV aerial), and used a magic eye. Cost £6, works perfectly. Only an 18″ TV or so in the bedroom, but the picture’s perfect. Easier than running things externally.

johnhe

If you have an xbox or ipad, you could connect them to the second tv and watch skygo on that one. Nowhere near as good as normal sky, but then neither is having to watch the same channel as is on the other telly.

njee20
    Free Member

Depends I guess. We never want to watch different channels, more that miss njee20 likes to watch stuff in bed. Possibly not ideal for the OP I guess!

Drac

Not quite, you need to purchase a second Sky HD box so dock at least a year – and IIRC Sky HD multi-room is more that a tenner but could be wrong. OP did say he didn’t want Sky multi-room.

The box is free and it’s around £11 a month so yup Cat5 option that only allows to watch the same channel is a poor option.

ask1974
    Free Member

I see Sky have rebranded Multi-room as Multi-screen to capture mobile options, Drac is correct that for non multi-room subscribers the first Multi-screen box is free (not a recordable version through), so for HD in another room it’s £11.25 a month which is probably the easiest option to maintain quality.

If you want recorded TV multi-screen boxes start at £199 so unless you need different channels in different rooms HD over CAT5 is still the best long term solution IMO.

rossi46
    Free Member

I’m looking to do this too, so thanks for the advice everyone!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

so for HD in another room it’s £11.25 a month which is probably the easiest option to maintain quality.

Go to the Sky website at the moment, check your rewards. I’ve just signed up to Multiscreen HD and I got a box and installation free and it’s only costing me £2.50 a month. I also got Sky Go with it for free.

unovolo
    Free Member

Bear in mind if its the very latest HD+ box that your using there are no AV ports on the rear of the set top box so you will have to factor in a IO link as well if you want to go down the cable route.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with the cable route ,the pictures normally mleh at best.

HDMI senders are relatively affordable and seem to work well enough.

Drac

Go to the Sky website at the moment, check your rewards. I’ve just signed up to Multiscreen HD and I got a box and installation free and it’s only costing me £2.50 a month. I also got Sky Go with it for free.

Only free box and £11.25 for me.

Sky Go is free for anyway.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sky TV in another room but not multi room’ is closed to new replies.