Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Sky Sports sneaky
  • DezB
    Free Member

Just found this out by accident… maybe others who aren’t aware (Sky hid this info when they changed the channels! I’m sure it’s not just me being thick 😐 )
    You only have to have 1 Sports Channel! I’m sure I read before that you couldn’t have Action & Main Event without the other channels, so I kept Golf, F1, Cricket, Darts, Football.. even though I never watch them!
    Just saved £10 by dropping all those and just keeping Action & Arena. Main Event just repeats the other channels, so missing nothing.
    (It was me being thick, wasn’t it)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

(It was me being thick, wasn’t it)

Yes, by the simple fact you have Sky at all. 😉

I’m just as thick but have no sports channels & wev’e only got Sky cos Mrs Egf wants it.

DezB
    Free Member

I like Sky. But it really costs me too much. I mean paying extra for HD is a bit of a joke. Everything should be HD by default by now.

IHN

Have you done the ‘I’m leaving’ call to Sky Dez? I did and now have the HD boxset pack for a tenner a month.

sbob
    Free Member

Does your local pub not have sky, thus saving you a subscription?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Did that call..got Sky Q and a reduced price for a little bit of wheeling & dealing ..was paying close to £100pm ffs..
    Now down to £70ish …worth having a chat ..

Drac

Ditched Sky a few months back and not looked back.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Sbob..that saves you nothing by the time you have had a skinful..
    😆

DezB
    Free Member

sbob –
    Does your local pub not have sky

Maybe, but it’s a shit-hole and boxing is usually on a 3am when they’re shut.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a lot of cost to HD from production through to transmission. A typical SD mux will have a dozen services(channels) whereas a HD mux will have half that so to have everything in HD would mean more broadcast frequencies (they are at 8MHz gaps) and they have to be reserved for TV as there’s limited space in the frequency spectrum.

£70ish/month for TV! 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

You have to play sky to get the deals. See a thread I started a good while ago on the subject. I get full hd sports, movies, boxsets, entertainment, phone line rental, and 35mbps (most recent test) fibre bband for 55 quid a month which I don’t think is bad.

DezB
    Free Member

IHN –
    Have you done the ‘I’m leaving’ call to Sky Dez? I did and now have the HD boxset pack for a tenner a month.

Keep bottling it in case they call my bluff 😆
    Also, I do need to change to BT, but.. I have Virgin broadband and they’ve just upped it to 200MB! No-one can match that. But do I need it? 😥

sbob
    Free Member

hodgynd – Member

Sbob..that saves you nothing by the time you have had a skinful..

A pox on your logic.
    To the supping rooms!

sbob
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Maybe, but it’s a shit-hole and boxing is usually on a 3am when they’re shut.

Come to my local, we’ll have a lock in. 😀
    Superbowl night is good, if you’re that way inclined.

IHN

I have Virgin broadband and they’ve just upped it to 200MB! No-one can match that. But do I need it?

I dunno, how fast can you w***? 😀

the-muffin-man

Keep bottling it in case they call my bluff

You don’t have to go the all-out I’m leaving routine. I find a simple ‘what can you do’ phonecall helps.

I did and now have the HD boxset pack for a tenner a month.

So the £2/month more than you would pay on NowTV and be able to cancel any time – good deal that! 😀

IHN

So the £2/month more than you would pay per month on NowTV and be able to cancel any time – good deal that!

Yerwhat now?

P-Jay
    Free Member

So the £2/month more than you would pay on NowTV and be able to cancel any time – good deal that!

I’m a massive NowTV fan, it’s great.

TBH most of the cost of sky is leasing the equipment and recouping the fitting costs, if you’re still paying them the rrp with a 5 year old box you’re over paying.

DezB
    Free Member

Yerwhat now?

Indeed. And what sports can NowTV offer me?

IHN

Can you record with NowTV, or is everything available via catch-up/on-demand?

If the latter, how long is stuff available for?

the-muffin-man

Yerwhat now?

http://www.nowtv.com/watch-tv-shows-online

If the latter, how long is stuff available for?

For as long as it’s available for on Sky – Entertainment and Cinema on NowTV mirror Skys output. They are owned by Sky.

Indeed. And what sports can NowTV offer me?

This is where NowTV falls down – it isn’t really any better than Sky’s offering. And you have to watch live – no catch up and you can’t record.

IHN

For as long as it’s available for on Sky

That’s where it falls down for me; we might record stuff and not watch it for months/weeks, at which point it would have fallen off the Sky on demand list.

DezB
    Free Member

[sports] it isn’t really any better than Sky’s offering

Yeah, shame that. It’s all I watch really. Well, rugby & boxing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

This is where NowTV falls down – it isn’t really any better than Sky’s offering. And you have to watch live – no catch up and you can’t record.

I only looked at SkySports via NowTV once, I couldn’t believe the price – £35 a month I think, the Premier League really does have a lot to answer for. I wasn’t aware you couldn’t ‘catch up’ with it – that’s a big part of NowTV entertainment, you can stream live, but there’s ads, so sod that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have Virgin broadband and they’ve just upped it to 200MB! No-one can match that. But do I need it?

You’ll get nowhere near ‘200mb’ and in reality I can’t see much difference between the alleged 200mb I’m on now to the ’40mb’ I was on with sky. Plus the virgin router runs really hot so you can’t stick it in cupboard out the way.

edit: Having just looked at my speedtest info best result I’ve had is 100mb download, 12.5mb upload.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a lot of cost to HD from production through to transmission. A typical SD mux will have a dozen services(channels) whereas a HD mux will have half that so to have everything in HD would mean more broadcast frequencies (they are at 8MHz gaps) and they have to be reserved for TV as there’s limited space in the frequency spectrum.

True, but all apart from the actual transmission will be in HD (or 4K more likely these days for live sport). So you could make the counter argument they should just broadcast the 4k and save money switching the SD and HD off (and let the box down convert it back to HD).

DezB
    Free Member

You’ll get nowhere near ‘200mb’ and in reality

Yeah, but nowhere near 200Mb has to be better than nowhere near 40mb..!

mikey3
    Free Member

All the big british fights are nearly all P.P.V now anyway(or will be soon),so you are still paying again anyway.Though they do show wilder fighting his next plumber on the normal channels and a few brit cards I guess.

DezB
    Free Member

All the big british fights are nearly all P.P.V

Well, the best stuff is on Boxnation anyway… which I’d get as part of a BT TV package… without paying £12 a month like I do now …

km79
    Free Member

You’ll get nowhere near ‘200mb’

I consistently get more from my Virgin broadband than I am supposed to.

mikey3
    Free Member

I only have bt sports though I can see myself being unable to resist paying for the groves v eubanks jr on ITV

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Sky Sports sneaky’ is closed to new replies.