Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sky Ride Leaders, are you?
  • Mounty_73

Are any of you guys a Sky ‘Ride Leader’?

Thinking of putting forward my interest as I would like to give something back….

edlong
    Free Member

Got the forms but I couldn’t make any of the dates for the training sessions. Seems like a good idea though.

pondo

I felt the same as you – done the course, waiting for BC to process the paperwork and get leadin’. 🙂 I enjoyed it, looking forward to getting out and doing some rides, hopefully get some new folk into it. 🙂

NigE5
    Free Member

Yes I am one, did 5 rides last year up to April, got paid for it. Got my kit for this year but not done one this year due to Surrey not wanting and more organized beginners rides in Surrey. I was told that there will be something later in the year aimed at road type sportive riders. Still waiting to hear.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate did it last year, I was going to get a first aid qualification and have a go next year.

Are they asking for volunteers already?

Mounty_73

Are they asking for volunteers already?

The form is available to show your interest for 2014.

http://www.goskyride.com/News/ShowArticle/Fancy-training-to-be-a-British-Cycling-Ride-Leader-Oct-2013

MoreCashThanDash

cheers, mate was going to send me the link but clearly doesn’t want me taking his fees!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i did it and enjoyed it for one year. I’m not sure what happened the second year; I volunteered and never got given a thing – I lost faith in it and didn’t bother last year.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Yep did level one last week, doing level two tomorrow.

Big promises being made for my area, hope it all comes to fruition.

cdaimers

It depends on the local funding. did my level 1 and 2 over the past month and there seems to be 3 years worth of funding (around 30 rides per year) anticipated for spring next year. its worth doing just for the certificate to go alongside my 100m swim certificate from 1977.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait.. you get paid to ride..?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

For those who have done it.

Looking at the photos do all those who you are leading have to wear the High Viz tabards?

stox
    Free Member

I did the course in May. Managed to get only 1 ride since qualifying.
    It seems in my region there are ALOT of leaders / assistants so competition is plenty.

BC seriously under ordered leaders kit so I’ve received only a jacket so far but it’s decent gear.

The tabards are dished out to the public who turn up to ride.

Yes you get paid for each ride you do. Came as a suprise to me as I signed up thinking it was voluntary!

molgrips
    Free Member

How much money did they give you?

vickypea
    Free Member

If you can make sure the riders actually obey the rules of the road that would be an improvement on the sky rides I’ve encountered.

stox
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    How much money did they give you?

ride leaders get paid £45 per ride
    Assistant ride leaders get paid £30

MoreCashThanDash

Before tax…..

NigE5
    Free Member

The leaders kit this year is great, I need to scrub off ride leader off the back of the jacket (supplied by Madison).
    I did level 1, but they have not run any more of the ride planner or off road courses in surrey as far as i am aware, not sure if it will be a goer for next year.

pondo

ride leaders get paid £45 per ride
    Assistant ride leaders get paid £30

Same course covers both, but leader has to be first aid certified, I believe.

timmytwowheels
    Free Member

Im one and I do various rides in Surrey and surrounding areas. Its a good laugh, I really enjoy it.

I am leading a ride on Sunday around Hampton Court an Bushy Park.

NigE5
    Free Member

Timmy I have had no rides show up on my dashboard for surrey

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sky Ride Leaders, are you?’ is closed to new replies.