• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sky Q – Worth it?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Sky Q keeps catching my eye, especially as I can watch F1 and football in UHD and also being able to watch a third channel whilst two programmes record will come in handy.

Apparently I can upgrade for £12 a month (if I ignore the installation fee) which doesn’t sound too bad.

I was interested a while ago but there seemed to be a few teething issues when I looked into it regarding boxes crashing and with wifi strength etc.

Have things settled down enough now to give it a go?

prawny

I threatened to cancel and got Sky Q for less than I was paying for HD so might be worth trying. it is much better than HD IMO, the remote is more responsive, and being able to watch stuff off the planner on the phone/tablet is great, would be great for a Turbo dungeon.

Downloading to a tablet is disappointing though, you can’t download much that a regular human would want to watch.

The little multiroom box is also really good. I was off sick from work for a few days when we first had it installed (a coincidence) and it works as well as the box downstairs in our house at least, can be an issue in bigger houses though apparently.

njee20
    Free Member

Was going to do it, but there’s no way to transfer all the recordings off your old box if that bothers you (and nor can you watch them on an old box). I just bought a 2TB HD box instead.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No. I don’t think so. An overpriced old tech solution for a modern world. My dad got it, is paying a small fortune for it and I wasn’t that impressed. You can do everything it does without having it over the usual net based catch up TV services. In this day and age there is no need to have to watch TV live or to actually have a device in your hope to record it. The only reason to have Sky these days is if you want to watch content only available on Sky. It is a cunning ploy from them to entice you to stay with cheap deals when you ring up to cancel.

riddoch

If you can get it for a reasonable cost it’s pretty good, when I signed up you needed to go with sky for broadband to enable all the features, I think it worked out a few pounds cheaper than the equivalent virgin deal at the time.
    The interface is very good, access on demand stuff without having to change to iPlayer and or whatever is handy. Voice search is now activated and voice control is meant to be on the way.
    I use the skyQ app to watch Eurosport when the main tv is otherwise occupied to catch the end of the Giro stages.

makkag
    Free Member

I just got a cracking deal (New Customer) 18 Month Contract basic sky q and tv package + unlimited fibre + Pay as you go phone and line rental 36 quid all in

I was only interested in the fibre and asked for sky freesat card to use some old equipment but this tempted me to use it all

Not using it yet so cant be of much help though :}

njee20
    Free Member

In this day and age there is no need to have to watch TV live or to actually have a device in your hope to record it.

Well… not really. Most stuff doesn’t appear on catch up until the following day, then disappears after 7-28 days. We watch a lot of stuff either months later, or about 20 minutes behind, so that you can fast forward through the adverts.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks.

I’m on a rolling contract at the moment with a big discount (thanks to the thread on here). I may try ‘cancelling’ again.

How is the UHD compared to HD?

makkag, was that for a single box or two?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ll probably get Sky Q when I swap to a UHD TV but haven’t bothered doing that yet as there’s still very little UHD content I want to watch. I was also concerned reading about noisy Q boxes and failures, hopefully that’s all sorted now…

gonzy
    Free Member

we’ve had sky Q since it came out….reason was that at that time our old HD box gave up the ghost…we got a decent deal on it
    in using it there are a number of things that are still annoying and it may have been down to initial teething problems such as stuff only partially recording or getting auto deleted…also the second box has a habit of playing up and needing to be given a soft or hard reset
    sky have done the latest software update but it still happens from time to time…so it could be that seeing as the boxes are some of the earliest problems that they may need replacing
    the disturbing thing is that sky can actually tell you when you disconnect the boxes…
    but other than that its been great to use….the kids love it and so does the wife
    no more fighting over what to watch or record…you can record 5 programmes and watch a 6th and because the second box also acts as a second wifi hotspot the wifi signal in our house is off the scale

john_drummer
    Free Member

I like it.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

no more fighting over what to watch or record…you can record 5 programmes and watch a 6th and because the second box also acts as a second wifi hotspot the wifi signal in our house is off the scale

That’s more like it, we seem to have a lot of phantom ‘deleting’ of my recordings so her soaps etc record.

Sky Q seems a lot less hassle than a new patio.

twonks

We have it along with unlimited fibre and a second box.

Seems to work well and much better than the old HD box that was on its last legs.

We have an issue on HD soundtracks (Dolby Digital) where the sound crackles and then the centre channel cuts out

Need to check other sources when I get a moment to see if it is Sky or receiver related.

gonzy
    Free Member

in using it there are a number of things that are still annoying and it may have been down to initial teething problems such as stuff only partially recording or getting auto deleted…also the second box has a habit of playing up and needing to be given a soft or hard reset
    sky have done the latest software update but it still happens from time to time…so it could be that seeing as the boxes are some of the earliest problems that they may need replacing

and so the glitches still continue. stuff that gets recorded mysteriously disappears. had a long chat with one of the Sky techs yesterday. we have an engineer booked out to come and have a look at the boxes to carry out a wired diagnostic and reset.
    got some money off too by way off apology too.

if anyone’s home screen annoyingly shows multiple tiles of the same show its because the latest software update hasnt come out yet. its still being beta tested but should be out in the next few weeks which will sort that problem out

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sky Q – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.