Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sky Q
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Anyone got Sky Q yet? What do you think? Main concern for me is the reliability of the broadcast signal on the units that are not wired (and rely on the WiFi network).

dyls

Also if its a signal over the interned what is the picture and speed quality of football matches. When I stream BT Sport from an app to the TV the picture looks laggy.

angeldust
    Free Member

dyls, I’m no expert but I don’t think it works quite like that. Taken from What HiFi review:

It’s a Sonos-style mesh network, meaning the speed of your broadband doesn’t matter, the wi-fi network itself determines how well the system streams content around your home. If you have Sky Broadband, each box works as a wi-fi hotspot.

I would still like to hear some real-world experiences before I become a (relatively) early adopter. Bit of google research brings up quite a lot of criticism from early users. Not that unusual from Sky products (they tend to do a good job of correcting faults…..eventually).

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, and I don’t think Sky have been very clear in describing what sky q actually does. The advertising is all done in soundbites with no clear explanation.

DezB
    Free Member

The clearest bit is “Extra £12 a month” – and for that reason…

angeldust
    Free Member

The extra charge isn’t an issue. Some people were willing to pay more for HD, some people will also be willing to pay more for 4K HD. In time they will phase out the old technology and make this standard, no doubt.

Have you viewed anything in SD lately (on anything other than a tiny screen)? I find it almost unwatchable, while my gf can hardly tell the difference. So I’m aware that not everyone can appreciate the difference…..but I can.

For reasons that are not worth going into, my monthly subscription won’t be going up in price, and I’m willing to pay the ‘installation’ costs to get the new technology (if it works like they say it does!).

riddoch

Im finding out on Friday.
    I think each box is also a powerline hub so if your wifi isn’t up to transferring from the main box it will use your wires.

mst
    Free Member

I’ve got it as a neighbour gave me a friends and family voucher, so it was just the cost of the install. I only have the single box

You can download recordings to a tablet to watch offline.

You can record more stuff at the same time (I think 4)

There’s a picture in picture preview of the channel you’re thinking about changing to (on the old sky box, you used the up arrow button to see what was on the channels around your current one, that now has a tiny preview)

The red button stuff on BBC sometimes seems to make the box hang and require a reboot

There isn’t a “+24 hours” button on the Programme guide which whilst it doesn’t sound too bad, is quite annoying.

I wouldn’t be paying Sky an additional £12/month for it

mattmbk
    Free Member

I have the full SkyQ package, with 2 mini boxes. Works well with the occasional hiccup.
    Mini box loses connection to main box 2-3 times a week.
    Mini box menu disappears occasionally. Reboot sorts this out.
    Main box has occasional picture judder since the Ultra HD upgrade, an apparent known problem, cured by on/off.
    All other features work exactly as advertised.
    Main problem for me are the remotes, the main touch screen remote is utterly useless and has long been dumped in the remote graveyard drawer. The other remote is like a slippery eel and spends more time on the floor than in your hand.
    As mentioned above the menu doesn’t have any ‘favourite’ features and the TV guide is just daft and makes no sense.
    Apart from all that it’s great.

angeldust
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps.
    mattmbk – approx how long does a mini reboot and/or re-connection to network take? I’m thinking of putting the main box in my home cinema room (where I can make the most of 4K HD), which would mean putting a mini box in the living room. Don’t want the gf to be complaining that the system is too complex and she can’t get it too work :roll:.
    Also, this would mean the broadband router (living room) would be further away from the main box (upstairs in home cinema room). I don’t see an issue as long as the WiFi signal is sufficient…..unless I am missing something?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sky Q’ is closed to new replies.